Chapter 3

Cristy said he had confirmed his attendance, and everybody was excited to see him.

He'd been away for years doing his documentaries. In fact, he has spent most of his adult life outside the country for his projects.

But the few times he was around, we always made sure to meet up for at least a cup of coffee. We were at least friends on some level, though admittedly there has always been an undercurrent between us which I've always tried to ignore.

It was there since the first day. It was still there the last time I saw him. I'm pretty sure it will still be there when we meet again.

The glances that last a second too long. The silence that spoke volumes. The conversations that meant a lot more than it should.

But it never went beyond light flirting, and it never will. Because I knew Paul is not the type to be tied down. He is like an animal in the wilds, happier when free.

So we silently agreed to keep the friendship, and it has worked well for us for the past twenty years.

Still, I could not help the slight quickening of my heartbeat at the thought of seeing him again. I couldn't wait to hear about his new adventures.

I entered the small private room that we had reserved for our little group and looked around for familiar faces.

"Elisse," a deep voice called out behind me. "I was waiting for you at the door. Cristy said you'd be here an hour ago."

I smiled at the familiar voice and turned around to greet my old friend.

"Hey you ugly person," I teased him. "Aren't you glad to see me."

I expected him to insult me back but he just smiled simply, his dimple appearing on his right cheek.

"Very happy. It's been a long time."

He was giving off weird vibes and it was starting to make me worry.

"Paul," I reached out and lightly tapped his arm. "Is everything all right?"

He just smiled again and tugged me to a corner table. I wanted to ask again, but knowing him, I knew he wouldn't tell me until he was ready so I held it in.

He wasn't like this in the beginning. He used to be so open, sometimes telling me things about himself that I would have preferred not to know.

Like how he liked to swim au naturale in the river back in his home town. And that he can reach the tip of his nose with his tongue. Or about that mole on his left butt cheek that he said I can use to identify his dead body if it came to that.

But he started to change a while back, became more distant and closed off, especially with me. At first I thought I offended him without knowing it, but he would always say no when I asked.

Then I saw all those horrors he witnessed during his news coverages, and thought maybe that got to him. From what I've seen in the edited videos he has shown me and those that he had allowed to be aired, I can just imagine how horrifying it was to witness in person.

So I tried to be always happy and upbeat whenever we would meet, to somehow counter all those negativity that he's been exposed to.

Sometimes it worked, and I would see glimpses of the boy he used to be. The one that was carefree and playful, with twinkling eyes and a quick smile for everyone, his thoughts so open and easy for me to read.

But most of the time it didn't, and he would be the distant guy whose mind was kept locked off from me.

I felt a nudge on my arm and turned to look at him questioningly.

"You looked like your thoughts were far from this room. Care to share?"

I shrugged.

"I just remembered what you did to me during the employee orientation on our first day at work..."

"And?" He quickly prodded me as he grinned, hints of that boy I met 20 years ago shining through his eyes.

"I promised myself then that I'd get back at you for that. But I don't think I ever did. So you still owe me one."

His smile faded a bit and he was back to the gloomy Paul again.

"Oh, you have. Believe me. Maybe someday I'll tell you about it," he said mysteriously.