Chapter 8

I said my goodbyes to everyone as I had to go fetch my son. Ray was going back to the station after dinner so he can't do it. Besides, it was only Wednesday and we had agreed that Lucas stays with me on weekdays.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you there?" Paul asked for the third time.

"Yes. I'm sure. I don't want to have to go back and pick up my car here tomorrow."

"Okay," he agreed with a nod. "But we need to talk soon. Let me know when you're free."

"How about Saturday? Ray usually picks up our son before lunch so I have the afternoon free."

"Great. Saturday then."

We walked to my car in silence, both lost in thought. I'm guessing that like me, he's recalling the times in the past when he used to walk me to the bus stop because he insisted I'd get lost and end up in the wrong one if he let me go by myself.

I never admitted it to him, but I enjoyed his company. Hearing his stories made the journey quite fun and helped me get through the long walk everyday.

Plus I did tend to daydream a lot back then and would sometimes miss my stop because of it. So yeah, he had a point.

Then one day he just stopped walking with me. At first he said he still had work to do. Then he said he was going somewhere else and my bus stop was out of the way. Then finally he got a motorbike and didn't have to take the bus anymore.

I felt hurt and confused and a little bit like I was rejected, but Ray and I soon had our own routines so I quickly forgot all about it.

I clearly remember now.

"I have a question," I stopped and turned to face him. "Why did you suddenly stop walking with me to the bus stop back then?"

His face registered varying emotions - surprise at the sudden question, wariness as he was probably wondering where this was coming from, and a hint of sadness for reasons still not clear to me.

"Saturday. Let's talk on Saturday, I have a lot to tell you."

I sighed, irritated at having to wait a few days for this mysterious talk, but at the same time understanding that a dark parking lot is not exactly the best place for serious conversation, especially with a former close friend you're just starting to rebuild a friendship with.

"Fine. Saturday then," I confirmed as I entered my car and started the engine. "I'm glad you're back, you know."

"It's really nice to see you again," he replied as I edged out of the parking space. "Please drive carefully, and say hi to Lucas for me. I hope to meet him soon."

I just waved in response, heading to the exit, and I saw him turn around as I glanced at the side view mirror.

We were like this back then, too. He wouldn't leave the bus stop until I was securely seated and the bus has started moving away.

Why am I only noticing these things now? I'm ashamed to admit that I had taken him for granted back then. I never noticed the things he had done for me because he was always joking around, I didn't have to take him seriously.

Maybe that's what he wants to talk to me about. I hope so. I hope he calls me out for being the bitch that I was back then so I can apologize. I want to thank him too, for taking care of me even when I didn't know it was what I needed.