Chapter XI

Sangwoo was blankly staring at (Y/N), his unreadable expression only making her feel more anxious. The dead silence between them was getting hardly bearable. (Y/N) was still trying to decipher what could have been going through his mind, but to no avail. 

"Sangwoo?" she asked, her voice trembling. She was still waiting for his answer.

"Sure" Sangwoo automatically replied as if he'd just snapped out of his thoughts and quickly averted his gaze from the woman. 

"Is everything alright?" (Y/N) didn't hide her concern. 

"Yeah, don't worry, I'll be back in a minute" still avoiding her gaze, he quickly get on his feet and headed to the front door. He felt her confused gaze on his back and it made him feel a bit sick.

Sangwoo stepped outside and as soon as the door closed behind him, he reached to his pocket for a cigarette and started walking straight. He didn't know where his feet were taking him, but he didn't care. He needed some time to think it all over. He was still taken aback by (Y/N) 's sudden request. As ridiculous as it may have seemed there still was a possibility of (Y/N) having his child. "That fucking bitch must have lied" he finally concluded in a desperate attempt to calm down, and promised himself that if the test were to come out negative he wouldn't hesitate anymore and kill her.

He was surprised when suddenly he reached a pharmacy. Was it his subconsciousness that lead him there? He hesitantly reached for the doorknob and entered the pharmacy. The queue was short, so he didn't have to wait for long.

"Hello sir, how may I help you?" a young smiling pharmacist asked him.

"Uhm... One pregnancy test, please?" he asked a bit embarrassed.

"Of course, here you are, it'll be 12 000 wons " the pharmacist responded, handing him a pregnancy test.

He quickly paid and exit the pharmacy. It still felt unreal. He'd never picture himself having a family. He'd never thought of becoming a father. He was sure he wasn't suited for this role. The memories of his own childhood prevented him from ever dreaming of starting a family. He believed all women were just like his mother and so he never thought of marriage. But there was more. Perhaps the main reason was his fear he'd become like his father. Sangwoo never thought of him as a bad man, he was just afraid to end like him - betrayed by his own wife and child.

On the way back home he was completely immersed in his thoughts. The way took him more than usual, mostly because he didn't really want to return. The whole situation made him feel overwhelmed.

"I'm back" he announced entering the house.

"I'm in the bathroom" (Y/N) cut to the chase.

Sangwoo took off his shoes and went to join her.

"Here" he gave her the pregnancy test.

"Thank you" she spoke barely audible and cast a glance at him. She was scared. Sangwoo, on the other hand, still had the same unreadable, stoic expression.

"Want me to stay?" he asked seemingly indifferent to whatever her decision would be.

"Only if you want to" she sensed his hidden intention which was making sure she wouldn't somehow fake it.

"I'll stay then"

She knew he would. "Could you turn for a second?" she asked taking the test out of its packaging.

"Sure"

(Y/N) followed the instructions and soon the only thing left to do was waiting for the results.

"So, one line means it's negative and I'm not pregnant. Two lines-"

"Mean you are, I know, I read it on my way back from the pharmacy." Sangwoo cut in.

"Has it been 2 minutes yet?" she asked her voice shivering.

"Yeah" Sangwoo glanced at the test.

(Y/N) hesitantly reached for the test laying on the ceramic sink. She looked at it and sudden all words got stuck in her throat. Tears gathered in the corners of her eyes.

"So?" Sangwoo asked concerned by her reaction.

She didn't say anything, she just show him the pregnancy test. And there it was.
Two red lines that would change their lives for ever.