Chapter XV

"So... I'm having twins?" (Name) asked, finally ending the pregnant pause between the trio.
Doctor Kim smiled,"Yes, two boys to be precise " she said and gave her some paper towels to clean the gel.
(Name) looked at Sangwoo and stopped dead in her tracks. The man had tears in his eyes, which, when he noticed (Name) looking at him, he quickly wiped.
At that moment she really wanted to slap herself across the face and hopefully gain at least the smallest bit of rational thinking. She couldn't tell anymore whether the man was manipulating her into believing he's happy or if he was acting genuinely. But most importantly, none of this should really matter, since the only reason for the appointment was to get help and finally escape from him. No matter how sweet he would act towards her and how caring he would be, he was a kidnapper, a rapist and a murderer. She couldn't forget about how he tortured her. She knew she should hate him, but somehow with each fond smile of his, it was getting harder.

After the ultrasound, doctor Kim gave them the pictures and asked to sit down once again. She gave them some tips and advice on dealing with pregnancy. Since neither Sangwoo, nor (Name) had any questions concerning the situation, Mrs Kim proceeded, "Alright, so if you don't have any questions, that will be all for today. Remember, should you have any questions or doubts, please feel free to call me" the doctor said and handed them a piece paper with her number on it.

"Thank you very much, doctor", Sangwoo said and stood up, helping (Name) do the same. He led her to the door, turning to the doctor one last time before leaving," Goodbye" he smiled gently.
He was about to open the door and walk out, but suddenly (Name) stopped and slowly turned to the doctor.
It might have been her last chance to ask for help.
"Yes?", the doctor asked, looking up from medical documentation she had to fill in after the appointment.
"You want to ask something, darling?" Sangwoo asked, trying to play it cool, but (Name) could feel his hand on her lower back stiffening.
She felt his eyes on her, she locked her with doctor Kim's. Suddenly the woman seemed a bit concerned.
It might had been her last chance to escape, so why did she suddenly feel a knot in her throat preventing her from uttering a single word.
" I... I wish you a nice day, doctor " (Name) finally managed to say and bowed slightly before quickly exiting the office.
"Sorry, it must be the hormonal imbalance you were tellingus about" Sangwoo smiled apologetically at Mrs. Kim and quickly followed the girl.
He got scared that she was trying to escape, so seeing her nervously pacing back and forth outside the office, really surprised him. Remembering that there were still patients sitting in the waiting room, he gently took her hand and asked, "You alright, honey?".
(Name) was panicking. She felt betrayed by her own mind. She tried to hate Sangwoo, but at the same time felt unable to leave him. It was like a toxic relationship taken to the extreme.
She hugged him and he gently patted her hair. She was shaking.
"Let's go home?", she whispered, and before anyone could ask her if she was okay, Sangwoo led  her to his car and in the matter of seconds they were on their way.

"Are you mad?" (Name) asked, her gaze fixed on her lap. She calmed down a bit after leaving the clinic.
There's a small pause before Sangwoo chuckled and said, "No, why would I be mad? Did you do something bad behind my back?". It was supposed to come out as a joke, but (Name) immediately sensed an underlying warning it carried.
" No, of course not!" she replied immediately, "It's just... the baby, actually babies" she stressed the plural form, " I know providing for twins will cost much more than what you'd spend on one child, so I started thinking how we'll be able to afford them and I guess I panicked" she lied.
"Don't worry about the money " the man gently squeezed her thigh, " I'll work something out", he looked at her and smiled before returning his gaze to the road. "You know, those panic attacks are not healthy for the children, so don't worry too much", he added.

15 minutes later they arrived home. Sangwoo wasn't stupid and knew something was off. He couldn't understand (Name)'s behaviour, it seemed contradictory to him. When she suddenly stopped when they're about to  exit the doctor's office, he was sure she would begin screaming for help and blow his cover.  However, she hadn't say anything of that sort and after storming out of the office, she even waited for him.
" I guess someone's going a bit mad", he chuckled darkly to himself. He didn't want to hurt her anymore, but he had to know her limits.
" I've reheated leftover dinner", he heard (Name) shouting from the kitchen.
"I'll be there in a minute", he quickly responded, but headed to the basement.

Meanwhile, dr. Kim was having some difficulties with filling the forms in documentation. Information on (Name)'s birth certificate weren't really adding up.
"Ms. Lee" she called and a young receptionist quickly came asking if she couldhelp. "Could you please look up this person in th System?" the doctor asked pointing to the (Name)'s personal information provided by Sangwoo. "I can't find her."
The receptionist nodded and after a couple of minutes came back with apologetic smile, "She doesn't exist in the System" she said.
"That's strange... it'd mean her ID was fake" the doctor wondered. Ms. Park indeed acted strange. She'd rarely speak, most questions answered by her boyfriend, Mr. Oh. By the end of the appointment she seemed terrified, but didn't say anything.
Doctor Kim signed and went back to work, but decided to check local missing persons list after work.