Chapter Nine.

Chapter Nine.

It had been two weeks since the incident. Two weeks of Kai on a drip in the hospital wing. Two weeks of Wilbur in a cell. Two weeks of Jack staring at Kai or nothing. Two weeks of everyone second-guessing themselves cause their Boss was missing from their lives. Two weeks of weakness.

Kai was on the brink of waking up for four days before he did. Every moment he had someone from the inner gang beside him, Jack was there almost all the time and everyone else kept to their original schedule of checking in with Jack every few hours. Jack had had two more beds moved into Kai's room, one for him and one for whoever in the gang wanted to be near him but was tired.

Kai woke up in pieces.

First, smell. He could smell food, a nice meal. And hospital. The place he was in smelt too clean to be anything but a hospital of some kind. The hospital wing of the Mansion, Kai reasoned.

Second, feeling. He felt a pain in his chest. He felt a silk cover over him, a comfortable t-shirt and bottoms and some fuzzy socks on his feet.

Third, taste. He didn't really get much, but he knew he had had some medicine recently.

Fourth, hearing. He heard two people talking. Jack and Fraser. They were saying how good readings were looking, how he was due to wake up soon.

He couldn't move for what felt like an eternity. He focused on moving one toe. When he felt he had done that, all of them, then his foot, then his focused on his finger, two fingers, hand.

Then, he opened his eyes.

He saw a white room with two beds beside his, Jack was asleep on one, Fraser on the other. He smiled, they looked peaceful. He allowed himself what he didn't normally, he had a quiet moment to let his mind wander.

He thought of the day he was shot, what happened before and what could happen next. He thought of the gang, of how it did and what could have changed. He thought of the inner gang, his friends, and what they might have been doing. He thought of Jack, what he had been doing. He knew he and Jack were not the closest and he realised he wanted to change that.

Thomas walked in and froze when he saw Kai sitting up, looking at him.

"Boss?" he asked, like he was afraid it wouldn't be real, that Kai would just go back to sleep.

"Yes Thomas?" Kai asked with a laugh.

"Oh my god your actually awake!" He semi-yelled, loud enough to wake Jack and Fraser.

"Shut up Thomas!" Fraser said, sitting up.

"What now?" Jack said, doing the same thing.

"Oh my god!" They said simultaneously as they saw Kai was awake.

"Hey guys." Kai laughed. He was having fun with people's reactions.

"H-hey Boss! How long have you been up?" Fraser asked, smiling.

"Minutes. You didn't miss much." Kai assured him.

"Right, both of you out. Go get me Doctor So-Jun and Nurse Joyce. I need to check a few things, so while I do you can go tell every one he's awake." Jack said, with a look that he knew would get no arguments.

The two left, saying goodbye to Kai, but still left quite fast.

Jack came over to the right of him, checking the machines Kai was hooked up to.

"I need to ask a few routine questions, just answer in your own time and truthfully. Do you know where you are?"

"Yes. The hospital wing of the Mansion."