Chapter Four: Secrets Hidden in Plain Senate

AHSOKA TANO

What a day, thought Ahsoka. First I listen to some Representative ramble on and on about insurance policies and now a Senator is rambling on and on about banking policies! Where’s the voting, the acting upon decisions they’ve made?

 Even though she was fighting off sleep from boredom and the urge to go find Anakin, she stayed in her place, which was sitting in Lux’s Senatorial seat. Finally, after several Senators (Lux not included) had gotten into a heated argument about interest rates, the day meeting was dispersed, to let “cooler heads resume the debate later”. 

This was the chance that she had been waiting for. “Senator, if I’m not needed at the moment, there’s someone that I’d like to go find.”

“Of course,” Lux said. “There are a few people that I need to speak with, too.”

Ahsoka then ran off to find a particular Senator, one that she had missed terribly. She wove her way around the milling politicians and protocol droids. Suddenly she spotted a familiar droid that was a shiny gold color with a silver attachment on one leg. She calmed her beating heart from the running and walked calmly over towards C-3P0.

“… and I’m sure that the Trade Federation will never permit these changes in their plan. I’m certain that they will act up against our movement,” said Padmé Amidala with finality to the small group of Senators around her. Then Anakin, who was also present, caught sight of his former padawan, and tapped the young Senator from Naboo on the shoulder.

“Ahsoka!” she cried, and came to hug her hello. “ It’s so good to see you. What are you doing here?”

“Oh, I got a position as Senator Bonteri’s personal bodyguard, and I’ve been living with him for the last few months.”

“That’s funny, I’ve never seen you here before.”

“Well, I’ve been making myself scarce lately. I think that I’m somehow interfering with Separatist plans, even if I can’t pinpoint the reason.”

“We’d better go to your office, Padmé, to discuss this more privately,” said Anakin, and Ahsoka realized that he was proposing this because he wanted to tell her why he understood her with Lux. “Now if you’ll excuse us, Senators.”

They then made their way to her office, which was only a short distance away. They closed the door behind them, and sat down on some couches. 3P0 and R2-D2 were sent away to a corner of the room.

“Can I tell her?”  He asked the Senator.

She nodded her agreement. “I think we can trust her.”

“Tell me what?” asked Ahsoka suspiciously.

There was a pause. Taking a deep breath, Anakin spoke up. “Ahsoka, you have to promise me not to tell anyone, but, um, Padmé and I… we’re married.”