Chapter Eleven: Burning Bright

LUX BONTERI

Lux walked over to the members of the Jedi Council as they left Ahsoka’s room, no longer an otherworldly spectacle. They just looked like Jedi. But, or so he thought, they were unaware that he had seen the entire thing.

Mace Windu slowed down until he was at the end of the group to speak to him. “Senator, we must include you in a final faze of the ritual to heal her.” 

  “Very well,” he replied. “What is it?” 

Windu took a breath. “I’m sorry, Senator, but in the name of protecting the Jedi Order’s secrets, I have to do this.” He bowed his head and raised his hand, and Lux felt a rush of, well, something, as the raised hand made a motion that he know well. “You will forget everything that happened here today from the moments before you contacted the Jedi onwards.” 

Aha! Thought Lux triumphantly. They’re trying to use that Jedi mind trick on me!

But Master Windu had underestimated Lux. He had never thought of himself as weak-minded, but just in case, Ahsoka had taught him how to resist this mind trick. It was unable to get to him. But, in order to fool the Jedi Master, he did a little playacting. 

“I will forget everything that happened here today from the moments before I contacted the Jedi onwards,” he repeated, making sure to put on that glazed-over eye quality and the expressionless tone of voice that made it more convincing. He then stood there until the Jedi had filed into their transport and left. 

As soon as he heard the sound of the transport’s engines disappear, he dashed back up to Ahsoka’s room and opened the door. There sat Ahsoka on her bed, as if she had just woken up after a fitful sleep. He sat down next to her. 

“Oh, hey, Lux. What’s going on? What happened to–” 

This was all that she could get out before he kissed her soundly on the mouth. She did nothing but wrap her arms around him, sinking into it, and kissing him back with equal passion. Eventually, they pulled apart. Lux knew that she had noticed that there were tears in his eyes. 

“I thought I’d lost you,” he whispered, cupping her face in his hands. “I was so worried.” 

“It’s all right. I’m here and well, thankfully.” She smiled at him sadly, but lovingly, and wiped away the tears that had filled over. “You brought me back. I know it.” 

“No, I didn’t, Anakin and Obi-Wan did, and the other Jedi Masters that came here to help you. It couldn’t have been me.” 

Ahsoka put a finger to his lips, quieting him. “But it was. I heard you telling me to hang on, just when I felt like I was starting to turn to the Dark Side. It was you, Lux.” 

He kissed the finger on his lips, pulling her tighter. “You are so beautiful, you know. I have everything that I could ask for right here with me.” 

She slapped him on one cheek, though not quite hard enough to hurt him. “No, I’m not beautiful. To you, maybe, but probably not to anybody else.” 

“You are too,” he countered. “You must be.” 

 “Are not.” 

“Are too.” He was a Senator, and good at keeping a debate going. He kissed her softly, just a little to the right of her chin. 

“Quit it,” she said, both to the argument and to the kissing. But she didn’t really mind the second of the two, so she humored him, and gave up. 

*LUXSOKA FOREVER!!!*