Chapter Eight: Fear of Loss

AHSOKA TANO

The next day was Lux’s speech. He had been practicing furiously. She had thought at first that it was just any other speech, but it turned out that it was of some importance in Lux’s life as Senator, and he was extremely nervous.

She had reasons to be nervous, too. Not only was the fabric of her universe crumbling before her eyes, but her personal life was, too. She could feel the two growing further and further apart, which meant that she had less time for Lux when she had a galaxy to save. 

There was now a dull quality to Lux’s eyes, and she knew that it was from overworking. He was trying too hard to build himself a standing reputation, and it was costing him. 

He was about to go out the door with jacket on inside out, so she stepped in. “Lux, your sweater’s inside out, you know that, right?”

“Oh. I hadn’t noticed.” He tried to right it, but got himself tangled in one of the sleeves, and couldn’t move his arm. It was then that she noticed that it was a little too small on him. He was a full two inches taller than before, and more muscular. 

 She leaned over to help him with it. “This one’s too small on you, I’ll get you another one,” she said, and ran back to his closet to grab a suitable one. She ran back, and he put it on. 

 “Thanks,” he said simply. She took a step closer.

“Lux, something’s wrong here. We’re too distanced, and I hate it. And I don’t think you like it either.”

A bit of a spark seemed to return to his eyes. “I know. I’ve felt it. I’ve been trying too hard to succeed as Senator for my home world that I’ve shut you out. I’m so sorry.”

“You know how you can make it up to me?” she asked him. He looked unsure about the answer. “Kiss me.”

“But Ahsoka, we need to get going! I don’t have –”

“Tell them your speeder broke down. Just do it, Lux. Do it for us.” She looked up at him, eyes pleading. She needed him – she knew that she just couldn’t live without his love for her.

Finally, he broke down, and bent to kiss her. She closed her eyes, and their lips touched gently, caressing. The kiss deepened, and soon it felt like they were galaxies away from Coruscant, in their own little world.

“I love you,” she said softly, after a long, sweet kiss.

“I know. I love you too.” He had that gorgeous grey-eyed look trained on her that always made her melt when she saw it. Her heartbeat quickened.

“And I need you, more than you know.”

“I know perfectly well how much, because I feel the same way.” He kissed her again, as if to prove it.

Eventually, they parted, and Lux and Ahsoka made their way over to his speeder, his arm around her the whole time. He unlocked it, and helped her get in. They sped away into the horizon of metal buildings.

Ahsoka leaned back, and pretended for a moment that she didn’t have the weight of the terrible knowledge on her shoulders, and just enjoyed being with Lux.