Chapter Twenty-Two: Of Fire and Metal and Wrath

AHSOKA TANO

“Goodbye, everyone! I’ll be back within a few rotations,” called Ahsoka from the hatch of the freighter. “Remember, I’m leaving padawan Zadyn in charge. Go to him if you need anything. And classes start when I get back!”

She looked once more at the group of fifteen padawans and younglings that she was to train. It was the day after they had arrived on Cialone, and they already had a good camp going, complete with a power generator. They were also preparing expeditions to Ilum, so that the younglings who were old enough could make their own lightsabers. That way, they could give their training ones to the younglings who had lost theirs in the Battle of the Jedi Temple, as they called it. 

Ahsoka was proud of the New Jedi Order’s progress, for they were in the process of building a New Jedi Temple out of the glowing crystal caves of Cialone, which had rock soft enough to tunnel through. But she couldn’t help but miss the old Jedi Temple, and its members. 

She had to leave to recuperate the Jedi holocrons, and the mysterious Sith one, and to check for survivors in the actual Jedi Temple. And it would be easier to get over her grief at what had happened if she was alone. 

The leader of the New Jedi Order took off, and was soon traveling alone in the bluish-white spirals of hyperspace. Onderon was pretty far, and it would take an overnight trip to get there. Leaving the ship on autopilot, she went to get a few hours of shut-eye, and was soon asleep. 

Ahsoka watched a scene on a volcanic planet take place. There were two people there, circling one another, as if preparing to fight.

“You have allowed this Dark Lord to twist your mind until now,” said Obi-Wan Kenobi, “until now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy.”

“Don’t lecture me, Obi-Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the Dark Side as you do,” said Anakin Skywalker, or, Darth Vader. “I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new empire!”

Your new empire?”

“Don’t make me kill you.”

Obi-Wan looked shocked. “Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic, to DEMOCRACY!”

“If you’re not with me, then you’re my enemy.”

“Only a Sith deals in absolutes.” He took his lightsaber off of his belt. “I will do what I must.”

“You will try,” said Anakin, and grabbed his own lightsaber and the fighting commenced. They fought all the way through a compound.  Eventually, Obi-Wan was on a hovering platform above a lava stream, and Anakin on a droid, coming towards him.

“I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you,” he said, as if he were stating a fact.

“I should’ve known the Jedi were plotting to take over!” he yelled, completely taken by the Dark Side.

I can’t watch, thought Ahsoka, but she couldn’t cover her eyes, nor close them, because she was a presence, not a person with hands or eyelids. She had no choice but to look on at the horrid scene.

“Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!” said Obi-Wan, in an effort to get Anakin to see the error in his beliefs.

“From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!”

“Well, then you are lost!”

As both the droid and the platform moved around a rock in Sith and Jedi were separated. “This is the end for you, my Master,” said Anakin, as he leapt onto Obi-Wan’s platform.

More blows were exchanged. Then Obi-Wan executed an incredible flip towards the shore, and was then above his adversary. “It’s over, Anakin! I have the high ground!”

“You underestimate my power.”

Suddenly realization lit up his face as it occurred to him as to what Anakin was trying to do. “Don’t try it.”

Anakin used the same flip to attempt to overshoot his old Master. But at the last second, Obi-Wan cut off his left arm and legs. Anakin’s battle cry turned into a shriek of pain as he slid down the steep, pebbly shore.

“You were the Chosen One!” he yelled, resisting the urge to go help Anakin up, his eyes filling. “It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them; bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!”

His eyes yellow and rimmed with red, he yelled up at him, “I HATE YOU!”

“You were my brother, Anakin! I loved you!”

Anakin slid a little further down towards the lava, and caught fire. Screaming wildly and trying to claw his way up, he stared up at his old Master with such a look of hatred that even Ahsoka shuddered.

Obi-Wan picked up his former apprentice’s lightsaber, then left.

* THis is the actual dialogue from the Mustafar Duel scene in Episode three of the Star Wars movies. Seriously, I checked on IMSDb for the script. Now read on!*