Part One

Benji

I groan, fixing my hair in the mirror. I push it to the side, where I want it, but it falls back into my face the second my fingers leave my hair. I roll my eyes in annoyance. I want to look nice for my first day of my senior year.

It's been a long couple of months. After Jorge broke up with me, I spent the rest of the school year trying to get him back. We became friends and I thought that maybe it was working for a while, but then summer hit and I didn't have an excuse to see him anymore. We still texted sometimes, but he didn't want to hangout, even though I asked him at least once a week.

I was hoping when football started back up in the middle of the summer I would see him practicing with the cheerleaders, but the had morning practice and we practiced at night.

I get to see him today, though, for the first time in at least two months. I'm so excited that my stomach hurts. I just hope that we can continue to be friends without it being awkward.

I give my hair one last push to the side and try to ignore the way it falls back down again as I slide my shoes on. I throw my backpack over my shoulder and run down the stairs to my kitchen.

"Good morning, my big senior," My mom gushes. When I told her what I did to Jorge, she was disappointed, but still gave me the best advice. She told me that if we were meant to be together, we would be, even if it took years.

"Morning," I kiss her cheek as I walk past her to grab a banana. "I gotta go."

"Okay! Have a good day," She yells at me as I grab my keys and head out the door.

The ride to school isn't long enough. I didn't realize how nervous I was until I sat down. What if he's with someone else? I wouldn't be able to handle someone else getting to hold him, hear him laugh, touch him. The thought made me so nauseous that I almost had to pull over.

"Benji!" I hear Drew call my name. I turn around and smile at my best friend.

"Hey," I high-five him before giving him a fist bump. "Let me see your schedule." I compare our schedules and find out we don't have any classes together.

"Dang," Drew puts his schedule into his backpack.

"Have you seen anyone this morning?" I ask hoping he'll bring up Jorge.

"I've seen lots of people. You mean, have I seen Jorge?" Drew smirks at me when I nod my head. "He's at his locker talking to Olivia."

I look to where Drew's pointing and see Jorge down the hall with Olivia. He's wearing a pink polo shirt and jeans. His hair's shorter than the last time I saw it, but it makes the curls more prominent. He looks beautiful.

"Do you think you could think of an excuse for us to go over there?"

"I'll say I have to ask Olivia something," Drew laughs. We walk down the hall together and I fight the urge to mess with my hair again.

When Olivia notices us walking to them, she nods her head towards us. Jorge gets the message and turns around. His eyes widen when we make eye contact.

"Hey," Drew says with ease.

"What's up?" Olivia smirks at him. Jorge gives me a small smile and turns away from me.

"I was hoping we could talk?" Drew shrugs his shoulders as if it was no big deal.

"Of course," Olivia giggles. They cross the hall together, leaving Jorge and I alone. He sighs and turns to his locker, shoving books into it.

"Hey," I mentally smack myself when my voice cracks.

"Hey, Benji," Jorge gives me a small smile. He tucks his hair behind his ear.

"You got a hair cut."

"Yeah, I did," Jorge giggles. I'm not playing this off as smooth as I'd like to be, and Jorge knows that.

"It looks nice," I clear my throat.

"Thank you," Jorge stares at the ground for a minute. I don't know what to say to him. The second I saw him, I forgot everything I wanted to say. "How was your summer?"

"Long and boring," I laugh. "I mostly just played football."

"Yeah, I noticed you weren't at Drew's parties," He picks his backpack up and slings it over his shoulder.

"Oh, uh, yeah. I decided that parties shouldn't be my thing anymore," I let out a small laugh. He stays silent. "Sorry, that was stupid. I shouldn't have said that."

"Benji," Jorge laughs. "It's me. You don't have to try so hard. Relax." He gives me a soft smile. He's right. I want to get him back so bad that I forgot how to act around him.

"Sorry. I think I'm just nervous," I sigh.

"Don't be," He closes he locker. "I have to get to class, but I'll see you later."

"Yeah, later," I try not to stare at his ass when he walks away. I crave his touch.

"Benji," Drew puts his arm around my shoulder when he and Olivia come back. "I just want you to know we were listening the whole time, and you sounded like an idiot."

"It wasn't that bad," Olivia giggles. "But maybe next time don't be so awkward?"

"Oh, right. Why didn't I think of that," I say sarcastically and roll my eyes.

The bell rings a few minutes later and I walk to my first class. There's a seating chart on the wall I look at before finding my seat.

"Hey," Jorge laughs when I sit down next to him in the back. The universe would put us right next to each other.

"Hey," I smile at him.

"Welcome to your senior English class."