Part Seventeen

Friday night. In our town, it's known for football games and after parties. But this week, it's different. Maybe not to everyone else, but to me, this week could change everything. This week, I find out what's in store for my future.

The scouter is coming all the way from America to watch me play. He flew in earlier today and introduced himself before the game. Usually, he lets the player know right after the game whether they want him or not, but homecomings right after the game, so we're meeting tomorrow morning for coffee. That's when he'll let me know.

My stomach ties into knots when I look at the scoreboard. 35-38. I've played harder than I ever have before. I have the best good luck charm and my whole family's in the crowd.

There's twenty seconds left on the clock. Drew gives me a look, letting me know he'll be throwing the ball to me. I run as fast as I can down the field, looking back once to locate the football. I catch it, holding it tightly in my arms.

The crowd screams when the buzzard goes off at the same time I enter the end zone. My team swarms me to celebrate our victory.

"You guys did so good!" Olivia screams and jumps into Drew's arms.

"You did so good, baby!" Jorge runs up to me and wraps his arms around my neck. He's never called me that before, but it makes my stomach erupt in butterflies.

"Baby?" I smirk at him when he pulls away.

"I don't know why I said that," He blushes. The rest of the crowd seems to disappear as I look into his eyes.

"I like it," I kiss his forehead before turning back to my team, joining them in celebration.

Once the stands and field has cleared, it's just Jorge and I on the field. I smile at him and hold both of his hands in mine.

"I'm so proud of you, Benji. You did so good," He swings our hands back and forth. I pull him closer to me and kiss his cheek.

"Thank you for coming. I know you didn't have much of a choice, considering you're in cheer," I laugh. "But I'm so thankful you were here."

Jorge just smiles and snakes his hands around my waist, resting his head on my chest in a tight hug. I put my arms around his neck and run my fingers through his hair.

"We need to get ready, homecoming starts in, like, an hour," Jorge laughs and pulls away. "And you smell bad."

"That was rude," I laugh. "I'm going to go shower, I'll pick you up from your house?"

He smiles and nods his head. "I love you," He yells when I start walking away.

I turn around, walking backwards. "I love you, baby."

***

Jorge and I decided not to wear suits to homecoming. He said they were too formal and uncomfortable. We went to a thrift shop earlier in the week and picked out loose fitting floral shirts and white T-shirts to wear underneath. Jorge got so excited when he say them, I couldn't tell him no, even if it was a little bit out of my comfort zone.

I went back to my house to shower and fix my hair before homecoming. I put on cologne and a few chains. I feel like I should be nervous, but I'm not. I'm excited to get to dance with my boyfriend, especially after the game that could change my future.

I'm anxious to find out what the scouter has decided. I hope I was good enough, but another part of me wishes I wasn't. I don't think I could leave Jorge and be close to 5000 miles away from him. But, it would be amazing to travel the world, especially on a scholarship where I wouldn't have to pay for much.

I fix my hair one last time and slide on my converse, running down the stairs and to my car, eager to see Jorge. When I get to his house, I knock on the door and wait patiently for him to answer.

"Hey," Jorge opens the door with a smile. The dress shirt is almost too big for him as it hits his mid thigh. He looks beautiful in a little bit of makeup with his hair curling down into his face.

"You look nice," I smile at him. He blushes and closes the door behind him.

"So do you," He grabs my hand, kissing the back of it. He holds it on the way to my car, smiling at me every time he catches me staring.

"Are you ready?" I ask, starting up the car.

"Yes, I'm so excited!" He grins at me.

"I've never been to homecoming," I say as I pull out of his driveway. I've been asked every year but a number of girls, but was never interested in going. I have a reason to be now, though. Any excuse to dance the night away with Jorge.

"Me either," Jorge smiles. I stop at a stop light and lean over to kiss his cheek. "I love you."

"I love you."