13 | Troubled

Jisoo checks her watches probably the hundredth time in the past hours. The sound of her foot tapping anxiously on the ground echoes slightly as her knee bouncing.

It already 6:45 PM. 'He's late for almost 3 hours!'

"I don't think he'll be here." She says in a huff, got off from the bench and grabbing her backpack.

She hears the sound of a car horn as walking home. The car pulls up on the side of her and a voice comes from the car window. "Jisoo?" Minhyun calls her from his car. "Why are you still here? It's quite late." He asks.

"I.. I was studying at the library," Jisoo says, averting her eyes.

"Hop in. I'll drop you home." He says in a half-smile.

"Hm." She hesitates for a second before opening the door. "Okay.."

There's a silence between them for some time before Minhyun takes a glance at her.

"I heard there will be a piano competition next month. Have you thought about entering the competition?"

"I'm not quite sure if I'm competent enough for the competition." She says, getting a little flustered by his sudden question.

Minhyun let out a small sigh, hesitating what to say. After all, he knows it's a very delicate subject. He still remembers vividly her face beaming with joy as she plays the song on the piano.

"I know that you'd always love playing the piano. If you put enough effort to practice, I'm sure you able to do it." He says as he continues observing her with a faint smile. 

She's gazing out the window as clenching her hands in her lap with her mind full of uncertainty.

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
FLASHBACK

Jisoo set her trembling fingers on the piano keys and began tentatively at first. The notes were quiet and slow, and her fingers felt stiff and awkward. She stumbled, playing the wrong notes, the wrong rhythm.

The girls in her piano class were murmuring to each other. Jisoo knew they were talking about her and she let out a sigh as she tried to refocus on the song.

'Why is she still in this class?'

'I don't know. What's wrong with her?'

'I heard that she dropped out on the day of the competition.'

'Maybe she chickened out.' The group started laughing until one of the girls said 'But she used to be the best pianist in our school.'

'Shut up. We don't ask for your opinion.' The girl in the group viciously shushed the poor girl.

Jisoo closed her eyes and pursed her lips. She sighed as she was thinking too hard. She should just start to play anything, just as usual she did before.

Her instincts told her to concentrate harder, focus more, but instead she closed her eyes and forces herself to relax. She played several wrong notes continuously and the sound is clashing, making her cringe.

Feel the music, Jisoo. See the keys in your mind. That was she told her mind but the image that came to her mind was her one and only beloved sister, Jieun.

Jisoo smiled at the memory. Jieun sat at a stool next to her, braiding Jisoo's hair while softly humming to the song as Jisoo began to play her favorite song piece. Jisoo sometimes wrinkled her nose because she did not like her hair in a ponytail or braids but she just let her sister braided her hair.

'I... I miss her so much.'

END OF FLASHBACK.
﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌