Chapter 4

I came to to the noise of steady beeping. I opened my eyes as wide as could but could still barely make out my surroundings. I began to panic not knowing where I was as the beeping picked up pace and grew louder.
"Woah, woah Ethan? You awake? It's Grayson." He said hugging me and squeezing me tightly. My body began to shake and throb as memories from the attack flooded my mind.
"GET OFF ME!. STOP!" I screamed as I panicked. I began to relax once I realized it was Grayson but still remained tense and on edge.

"I..I'm sorry. I didn't mean to" Grayson stated lowly as he bowed his head in what seemed like guilt. Before I could meet his eyes and respond what looked to be a doctor walked in.
"Mr. Grant, you're up. How are you feeling?" I slowly turned my head towards him which still hurt like a bitch since my head was pounding. I blinked repeatedly before settling on my response. "Sore" was my only response.
The doctor checked my vitals and pupils before asking me if remembered what happened. I felt tears begin to prickle in my eyes which felt almost swollen shut as I nodded my head slowly. I glanced at Grayson who was sitting on the chair in the corner staring at me with attentive eyes.
"Would you mind telling me?" The doctor asked. "We can ask your friend here to step out of you'd like."
"No!" I immediately caught myself and lowered my voice. "I mean no. I'd like for him to stay." I looked at Grayson and lowly uttered the word "please".
"Of course! You never have to ask twice with me. You know that" he stated moving closer to my bed and grabbed my hand which I instinctively yanked back.
"Sorry.."
"It's ok E. I'm here no matter what."
I inhaled and exhaled deeply not sure if I was ready to say the words out loud.
I looked around the room from Grayson to the doctor as they looked back at me with expectant eyes.
"I.. can't. I can't say it." I uttered out as I burst into a fit of sobs.

"Hey. Hey E it's ok Grayson said as he reassuringly rubbed my shoulder however I flinched at his sentiment.
"Sorry" we said in unison.
"Ethan. You have NOTHING to apologize for. You hear me? We'll take this at whatever pace you need. Ok?"

I nodded my head quick as tears still spilled from eyes.
The doctor let us have a minute before continuing. "Would like me to go over your injuries and recovery time with you." I shot Grayson a look to which he responded to the doctor from me. "Yes. Go ahead."

"Okay so it appears that you have 3 broken ribs, a broken nose, fractured cheekbone and eye socket, a concussion and laceration to the forehead, heavy bruising along your arms abdomen and thighs as well as anal tearing and bleeding."
"Jesus" Grayson slurred under his breath through labored breathing as he ran his hand through his hair exasperated.
I, on the other was frozen in a state of shock unable to comprehend all of that.
"It'll probably take you about 6-8 weeks to recover completely but I see no reason why we can't discharge you today. Would you have someone who can help you?"

"Me. I'm taking care of him. I'm his best friend and roommate. He doesn't have to worry." Grayson deadpanned before I could chime in looking at me with hopeful eyes. It looked as though he wanted to reach out and touch me but I could tell he decided against it.
"Im taking you home E. I'll take care of you."