32: Defense

He didn't see me at first, the soft light of the lamp on the end table wasn't enough to make him look over. He shrugged off his jacket and tossed it across the back of an armchair as he stepped into the living room and checked his watch.

His hair was messy and his top button was undone, his shirt untucked and without a tie. I wondered how many times he had come home looking like this, and I hadn't ever considered he might have been sleeping around. I felt the spark I had been hoping for growing inside me as I thought of him crawling into bed next to me after sleeping with another woman, knowing I was too desperate and unassuming to figure it out.

As his gaze lifted from his watch, he looked right past me for a second before his gaze skipped back over to me, sitting on the sofa. He jumped a little, as if he had already been caught in a lie, I could see the excuses forming on the tip of his tongue.

"Working late?" I asked, my voice coming out clear and strong.

"Yeah, had a few last minute things to tie up." He lied without remorse, unfazed, "What are you wearing?"

I glanced down at myself, I had forgotten I was wearing Silas' suit jacket. I felt comforted having it wrapped around me, reminding me he was just around the corner waiting if I needed him.

"Don't change the subject." I stood, pulling the jacket tightly closed, folding my arms across my chest, "You're lying."

"Jesus, can we not do this right now, I'm tired." He ran his hand through his hair, making it look even messier.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" My voice raised an octave, my rage beginning to surface, "Can we not do what right now, Eric? Talk about how you've been cheating on me?"

He didn't respond at first, looking more irritated than shocked. As if he didn't care that I knew, so much that I was making him admit to it and it was inconvenient for him. His jaw clenched and unclenched and I could tell he was already growing angry, unsatisfied with my tone and the fact that I was accusing him.

"Don't know where you got that stupid idea." He placed his hands on the back of the chair and leaned forward. Casual, defensive, emotionless.

"I saw you with her." I said it without thinking.

"Oh? When?" He challenged.

"It doesn't matter, what I'm saying is you can't lie anymore. I'm not asking if you're cheating, I'm telling you I know you are."

"So, what, are you following me around now? Spying on me?" He stood up straight again and stepped around the chair into the middle of the living room, "That's fucking pathetic Maura, what the hell is wrong with you?"

I felt the rage inside of me dissipating as he towered over me, my strength fading as his volume increased. I glanced towards the hallway, Silas remained out of sight but I knew that he was there listening. I met Eric's eyes and squared my shoulders, knowing I had nothing to be afraid of, he couldn't bully me anymore.

"There is nothing wrong with me." I replied, "You, on the other hand, are an asshole. And I'm done letting you treat me like shit."

It felt so good to say it, but I could see him losing his temper as soon as I called him an asshole. He took another step forward, his jaw still clenched and his face starting to turn red. As soon as he stepped into my space I saw Silas stalk into the room from the corner of my eye.

"Don't take another step." He warned, his voice was ominous and threatening. Eric glanced over at him, his anger increasing.

"Yeah? Or what, android-boy?" Eric took another step towards me, close enough now that I could smell the other woman's perfume on his shirt.