Chapter 10

The birds chirp as the morning breeze eases through the open window. Fred sits at the kitchen table talking to his son about today's plans.

Since Bethany feels awkward third-wheeling their conversation she just heads to her room to change her clothes. The moment she enters her facade gives in. Her face contorts into one of panic she drags her hands through her braids pulling on each strand.

What the hell was that! What the actual fuck, oh my god this is crazy, Bastien just kissed me! She silently screams.

Bethany falls back onto her bed an closes her eyes trying to calm herself down. Bethany has never been kissed before, her first was taken by her stepbrother and she thinks this is messed up. She rolls up and down her bed trying to shake the feeling of Bastien's warm lips on hers, trying to shake the feeling of his big gray eyes looking into her soul. Butterflies erupt and she screams into the pillow.

Eventually, Bethany changes into her day clothes. She throws on a causal collar black short summer dress accompanied by her black ballet flats. She ties her hair into a ponytail in installs her silver studded earrings. 

"Dad just eat the fucking thing!" Bethany walks into a shocking scene. Bastien has a bowl of cereal in his hand and with his other hand is shoving cereal down his father's throat.

Fred coughs violently and spits out the food.

"Stop it, Bastien, I'll eat when I'm ready!" Bastien knocks the porcelain bowl onto the ground causing it to break in half, he hops off of the bar stool fuming.

Fiona walks in groggy rubbing her eyes.

"Ugh what the hell is going on?!"

"You know what I'm fucking sick of the bullshit dad, how long does it take for you to recover from your stupid eating disorder!" Bastien screams at Fred his face is red and his fists clenched to his side.

"Ever since mom left you you've been like this, and sorry to break it to you but a new wife isn't going to fix your problems" 

Fiona walks up to Bastien and slaps him across the face.

"Don't you dare speak to your father like that have respect!" Fiona rushes over to Fred.

"You haven't the faintest idea of how hard it is struggling with an illness. Bastien your father is trying and even though you can't see it or care to notice he's getting better. You may be frustrated now but just give it some time." 

I single tear wells up in Bastien's eye he rushes out of the house slamming the door behind him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bastien, Bastien, wait!" Bethany runs after him, as he rushed down the shore of the lake, she trails behind him as her lungs begin to burns. Holy crap the boy can run. After what seems like a wild goose chase eventually Bastien collapses on the ground. Bethany catches up to him panting and wheezing, she holds her chest waiting for her heart rate to slow down.

"Bas-Bastein..." Bethany plops down next to him and takes her shoes off. She dips her toe into the shallow water. The cool feeling makes ur appendage goe numb so she removes it.

Bastien sits crisscrossed staring blankly into the distance. After a long pause, he speaks.