Chapter Three

I felt completely awkward after I left the room. I don't think it was the right choice to give him my address, but I had to. Did I?

--

Here I am, once again. Not able to fall asleep, but this time it's not because I'm nervous. It's because I'm afraid I made a life-threatening decision. He's interviewed so many other women. Beautiful women, he probably asked for their addresses and they're still alive. Right? I'm not even close to beautiful anyway. The last thing that he would've want is the place far from me and my ugliness. Does he? I'm asking too many questions, I should just go to sleep..
But once I shut my eyes, a soft knock pounded against the front door. I started to get worried until I remembered what happened last time I freaked out. I hit my dad with a flipping blowdryer.

To avoid that mistake again, I walked down stairs to the door as calm as possible. I looked through the small hole of the door to find a whole different person: my best friend, Matt.
I swing open the door,"what are you doing here so late!?" I asked. He narrowed his eyes at me,"Like you don't know." He chuckled a little and walked in without my permission. But I let it slide.
"Uh..I really don't know..?" I said.
"It starts with an I." He said, winking at me.
"You mean, I need to go to bed so leave now." I stated.
"No. Rude much?"
"Disturbing much?" I asked, rolling my eyes. I walked off to my room hoping the idea of me wanting him to leave would pass through his thick, idiotic skull; instead, he just followed me there. I sat on my bed.
"Interview! Tell me about your interview!" He says in excitement.
"I-it was okay...I don't think I'll make it though.." I mumbled.
"Aww, it couldn't be worse than my interview. He hates me." He said, pouting.
Matt and I tried out for the same interview. We always wanted to work with each other, it's been our dream since high school.
"He hates everyone." I added. I wanted to laugh, but I was too exhausted to do anything except talk. But it might help me sleep, this conversation is really boring.
"Yeah." He said laughing.
He kept laughing until I heard my phone vibrate against the dresser. "Who's texting me at this time?" I asked, getting up and walking over to my phone.
"I dunno." He answered. Even though he wasn't actually suppose to answer the question.
I picked it up my phone. It was an unknown number. The text below said: This is Mr. Neyman (the guy you interviewed with), I will come over tonight to ask you more questions about you. See you later.
I felt a cold shiver ran through my body as I slowly put down my phone on my dresser. But after that, I was completely frozen in fear.
"Emma? What's wrong?" I heard Matt ask.
I looked at him slowly. I could see the worry in his eyes, he could probably see the fear in mine.
"H-he's....." I drifted off. I was shaking so badly, I didn't know what to do. I'm terrified. Why the heck did I give it to Mr. Neyman?! Why didn't I listen to my instincts?! Now I'm going to get killed or something! Maybe he won't hurt me, maybe it really is for the interview. Right..?!
"He who...?" Matt asked tilting his head,
"Mr. Neyman is coming over here...." I managed to say."I-I gave him my address..."
"Why!?" He yelled a little bitterly.
"I-I..." I paused my own sentence. I was too scared to finish it.
"When is he coming over?!" He asked with concern.
I shrug as I stare down at the floor. Matt sighs heavily. "I can only wish you a good, safe night...I'm sorry Emma.." He starts to walk out the room, but I grab onto his white shirt and pull him close to me.
"No...don't leave me! I need you!" I whispered as I buried my face deeply into his chest. He was captain of the football team. I needed some strong material when he shows up.
"What about your parents? They're here to keep you safe."
True, but they aren't football players are they?
I just shake my head."It's not enough.." I muttered.
"You'll be fine...trust me.." He said. I sighed.
I know I'm not safe. After I gave him my address, I feel like every figure of darkness and evil is laughing at me. Laughing at me endangering myself.
I wanted to hug Matt longer but he takes one look at the clock and suddenly panics. "I'm sorry, I have to go--"
"No! Stay!"
"Emma let go!"
"No, not until he arriv--"
He shoved me to the floor, I fall back easily and crash against the floor with a loud thump. I stare at him with shock. He pushed me. He actually pushed me.
We stare into each other's eyes. I didn't find any guilt in his or any worry.
"I have to go. I'm sorry..." He whispered harshly and leaves the room.
Anger filled my body quickly. I stood up and slammed the door as hard as possible.
"Idiot!" I yelled, knowing he probably didn't hear me. I didn't care anymore. I don't need him anyway.
I return to bed and fell asleep as soon as my head made contact with my soft, white pillow.

--

The sound of the front door slamming wakes me up instantly. Fear pounds in my stomach, but it washes away quickly. I knew was nothing, I was going to be fine.
I laugh at myself quietly for my silliness and close my eyes again. I was sleeping peacefully until I felt the cold realization hit me. When Matt left, I never heard the door slam or creak.
He never closed the door at all.