Chapter Four

I wished deeply that it was just another family member visiting, or Matt coming back to protect me. Please let that be the case.
I heard pans and other material clank against the tile floor in the kitchen, and a manly grunt.
I felt my stomach twist. My knuckles were pale from clutching the covers too hard. I just want this to be over, where I find out I was paranoid for nothing and everything goes back to normal.
I didn't think that was going to happen. This time it isn't something to curl up and cry about. If this is real, it's time to take action.
As the clanks and bangs continue downstairs, I sneak out from the covers and sheets, and peer around the doorway, trying to spot the person.
I couldn't see them at all, the long, white wall completely blocked off the view of the kitchen. Crap.
After the noise dies down, I see the guy appear at the end of hall. I quickly move my head back, hoping he didn't see me. His footsteps were heavy, and getting louder each step. My bedroom is the first room in the hall. He's most likely going to visit mine first.
I look around for a place to hide. Under the bed? Too obvious. In the closet? Also too obvious.
Then my eyes laid on the bathroom. Perfect. I ran in, locking the door behind me. Luckily, there's two bathrooms in the house, and one of them is attached to my room. Hopefully, it saves my life or it'll be the last thing I'd see.
I crouch on the floor, and sit in the corner of the bathroom. I tried to remember the way the dude looked when he started to walk down the hall. Since it's time to sleep, there was no light in the hallway. Since there was no light in the hallway, I couldn't see his face or anything clearly. Can this night get any scarier?!
The sound of footsteps grow loud. He was in my room. I hear him walk around my room and a creepy feeling moves through me. I had a crazy feeling that he was staring at my pictures and frames. Trust me, it wasn't a good feeling at all.
That's it. I'm convinced that this is an intruder. I'm calling 911. I reach for my phone in my pocket, but felt nothing. Then as if on cue, my phone goes off, destroying the terrifying silence. On my dresser. In the same room as the intruder. The ringtone I thought was catchy and fun back then, now has me in a pit of fear.
He picks up my phone. What is he doing with my phone? He's not going to keep it, is he? I don't care who he is, he better put down my phone.
"Tsk tsk tsk." He whisper. I try to analyze in my head who that voice belongs to, but no one came to mind. I bit the inside of my cheek constantly until I tasted blood.
He sighs deeply, and I hear him throw my phone against the wall. The sound of it cracking into pieces made me mad and horrified at the same time. There goes my only resource for help.
My thoughts instantly fled once I noticed a shadow appear underneath the bathroom door. I cup my hands over my mouth tightly to keep from making any noise. The doorknobs twists harshly as if the intruder was trying to open it.
I shut my eyes tightly. I'm dead. I'm so dead.
After numerous chances of trying to open the door, it goes quiet.
I slowly remove my hands from my mouth, and open my eyes to stare at the door.
Suddenly, a gunshot goes off and a bullet flies through the door. It smashes into the mirror, making glass fly. I screamed in fear, and covered my head. More gunshots echo throughout the bathroom, bullets hit almost every object in harm's way. Finally, it stops.
At that moment, I was glad that I wasn't near the door or near anything that could've got me killed.
Just to be sure anyway, I checked my self for any cuts or marks. I only found a couple of gashes on my arms from the glass, but other than that I was fine.
The doorknob wiggles one last time, and the intruder leaves the room. Am I actually alive? Did a weak girl like me actually survive?! I crack a wide smile, and silently laugh with relief.
I made it. Everything's going to be fine. I'm going to be okay. I can't believe it.
I throw myself a small, silent celebration of my unexpected survival, but a feminine scream and a gunshot following right after it shuts me right up.
"Barbara!" A familiar voice yells. I immediately knew that was my dad's voice.
My mom's name is Barbara.
I felt my stomach drop. My mom was shot. She's gone. She's no longer on this Earth. She's no longer with me.
I heard giant thumps in the room like if someone was fighting and wrestling against the floor. Is my dad fighting with the intruder? Who's winning?
Then, two gunshots goes off, making everything silent. Please tell me my dad got him. He got him, right? I can't lose both of the most important people in my life! A bridge of tears form in my eyes, but I wipe it away quickly. I knew I had to be strong to get through this night but I couldn't. I'm too weak at this moment. That intruder took my parent's life.
He took a giant piece of me as well.