Chapter Twelve

I scream at the top of my lungs, as I ran to the wrecked car. I try to open the car door, but it was locked. Luckily, the car window was broken where I could easily unlock it from the inside, not caring about the glass cutting into my arm as I unlock it.
I swing open the door, and drag Xavier's body from the car seat. He had the same exact blank expression when he got into the car. A small part of me thinks he's entered that depression state after a breakup. But honestly, I think it's way worse for him.
I lay him against the grass, but freak out when his eyes start to slowly close. "No, no, no,no!" I yell, shaking him. His eyes stay closed, and he doesn't move an inch. I felt like a piece of me went missing. "Xavier!" Tears travel down my cheeks as half the policemen forces me off him while the others surround him. I scream constantly, trying to struggle out of their grip. I had to help him. I'm the one who made him crash into the tree by telling him the news.
So technically, if he dies.
I'll be the one who killed him.

--

I sat on the couch at Ms.Green's house, scrolling through her call history and her contacts to make sure she's not apart of Matthew's assassin group. Her call history is safe, but I freeze up when I saw Matthew in her contacts. But I know why it's in there.
I put in the number myself for her because Matthew and I would help her with certain chores and errands. I wonder if he was thinking of kidnapping or murdering me back then. I sigh. I can't believe I used to call him a best friend.
Out of nowhere, a text popped up. Curious, I opened it up.
Matthew
Fun fact: did you know Xavier's blood is all over the walls of his hospital room? He wouldn't die so I easily killed him.
Below the text, was a picture of blood all over the hospital room.
I scream, and threw the phone against the wall. I felt myself trembling as I curl myself in a ball on the couch, crying. Ms.Green wasn't home. She had to visit her family for a week because of something important, so I couldn't ask for a ride to the hospital. I knew where the hospital was, but it was way too far to run on foot. I'm stuck here until she comes back.
Or is Matthew going to kill her too?
Then, I heard numerous text messages beep from the phone. It wouldn't stop. It kept beeping over and over. I didn't want to pick it up. But what if Matthew gives clues what he's up to next? I knew I had to pick it up.
I hesitantly crawl onto the floor, and grab the phone. I open the messaging box, only to see all the messages said the same thing:
Matthew
I see you (;
I immediately drop the phone, and scoot back against the wall. This can't be happening. This all have to be a nightmare. It just have to be.
Suddenly, someone bangs hard against the door. Fear and worry stirred inside my stomach, increasing my breathing.
I knew it wasn't Ms.Green, she wouldn't knock. She would enter the house since she has the keys, of course. So it could only be her or not. And it's obviously not.
The person bangs harder like if they're trying to break down the door. I stand up slowly, and walk quickly to the kitchen. I open the drawer, and grab the biggest and sharpest knife in there.
I stare at the door, gripping onto my knife tighter. "Be strong, and be ready.." I mumbled to myself, I stalked closer to the door.
The thought of getting killed made me want to throw up, but I had to focus. Thinking of things like that could easily distract me.
I unlock the door, and raise my knife. I swing the door open, close my eyes, about to stab whoever was at the door, but I felt a hand grabs my wrist. Oh crud.
"Oh, you chose the thug life I see." A familiar voice tells me. I open my eyes to see Xavier, and a smile stretches widely across my face.
"You're alive!" I shout, wrapping my arms around him tightly.
"I was just knocked out from the impact..didn't anyone tell you that?"
"Obviously not." I let go of him, but the smile stayed on my lips. But soon, slowly forms into a frown after I realized how badly he scared me. "Why did you banged on the door so hard!?" I said a bit angrily.
"Oh, I'm sorry!" He said sarcastically."Today hasn't been a good day, plus it's raining hard out here if you haven't noticed!"
It is? That's when I felt the rain hit against me. Oh. Now that's understandable. "Come on in." I said. He walks inside. I look around before I go inside to make sure Matthew wasn't out here. But of course he's not going to be hiding where I can clearly see him.
I close the door after me, and shut the curtains at the window.

--

Midnight

I tried to sleep, but I couldn't. Each time my eyes shut, the image of Matthew strangling me appears. It's obvious it's going to be an all-nighter.
A knock on the front door makes me jump. Tiredly, I drag myself to the door, forgetting the possibility of it being Matthew. I open the door to see two police officers; one cute guy who looks around my age and one woman that looks like she's in her twenties.
"I'd like to see..." The guy said, checking the paper in his hand. "Emmert Johnson."
Did he just say Emmert?
"It's Emma. Not Emmert." I corrected.
The woman leans toward the guy and whispers,"No wonder why someone's after her."
Even though it made me crazy angry, I brush it off. The guy laughs a little at her statement, then says to me,"We're here to protect from Mitchell."
"Matthew." I correct again.
The woman rolls her eyes. I open my mouth to tell her off, but I didn't want to start anything.
"I'm Jack, and that's Isabelle." He said, pointing the girl next to him. "We were suppose to be here earlier but...we wanted to have dinner first."
"Oh great." I respond, trying not to show any sings of anger in my voice.
"We're here to pretty much investigate for a whole 24 hours." Jack continues. "Originally, we were suppose to take you to a secret location but....it's too far."
I stay silent. I knew if I speak, I'll explode with anger.
"So..let's begin the investigation."

--

I sat on the couch while they observe the room, answering every question they had. It was boring, but it beats trying to go back to sleep.
Soon, I hear footsteps from behind me. I turn around, spotting Xavier with a panicked look.
Once Isabelle sees him, she stares at him continuously. Xavier looks at me, and the police officers. "Who are these people...?"
"Protection." I answer.
I watch Isabelle walk over to Xavier. "You're cute..maybe we can go to dinner later..just me and you..?"
"I don't date desperate girls." He responds. After that rude remark, they start arguing and fussing.
I sigh. Then, I hear a phone beep from the kitchen. Another message.
The room went silent. I walk over to the phone, and pick it up. I hesitantly open the message box.
Matthew
5
4
3
2
1.
Then, I heard a gunshot. I quickly spun around, seeing Isabelle and Xavier falling on top of each other. Jack and I quickly ran to them, seeing Xavier freaking out with blood all over his face while Isabelle laid lifelessly. Jack flips Isabelle off of him, revealing a gun wound through her skull. I look over at the window, and noticed a bullet hole in the glass. Matthew really could see me.
Xavier stands wildly, trying to wipe the blood off his face. Jack kept yelling,"this place is dangerous! We're not safe!" Isabelle was plain dead. There was so much chaos going on. It's too much.

*Xavier's POV*
It all happened so fast. Everything. I knew Matthew had tricks up his sleeve, but I didn't realize how powerful he actually was. We have to find a safe place fast, or it'll be the end for all of us. I look over at Emma, her eyes meet mine. Hers was completely filled with fear more than ever before. I have to comfort her.
"Emm--"
Out of nowhere, she screams. She clutched her hair, shaking in fear. "I can't do this anymore!" She yells, running out the house. My eyes widen and I follow her onto the street.
"Emma! Get back in here! It's not safe!" I yell.
She stops on the sidewalk, and turns around to me. "Nowhere is safe!" She shouts.
"Please just stay here!" I ran to her, about to grab her arm, but easily miss it when she runs out on the road.
Suddenly, a black van comes and slams against her. Her body flops onto the concrete, not moving a single inch.

Sorry this chapter is boring and rushed. I have final exams this week and I have to study hard for them. :P next chapter will be way better than this one after I finish with exams. Promise :D thanks, bye my fellow readers.