Chapter Ten

*Emma's POV*

I sat in the hole while Matthew pushes the bookcase away from it, causing dust to spread throughout the room. The dust filled my nose and I cough. Does he ever clean that thing?
After he finishes pushing, he stares at me and shakes his head like if he was disappointed in me. "Emma...Emma...Emma..." He said dramatically. I felt myself shaking in fear. What is going to do to me now?
"You caused a lot of drama.....and a lot of tragedy...to everyone closes to you.." He sighs and continues,"But I will happily end your terrible ways and plans by killing you." My eyes widened as he runs up to me and grabs me by the arm. I scream at the top of my lungs and struggle wildly to escape from his grip.
"Matthew! Please!" I shout. "You don't have to do this!" I start wildly kicking at him, but that only made him angrier.
He punches me in the jaw hard. I slam back onto the floor from the impact. I felt dizzy. Black spots dance around my eyes. "Get up!" He shouts in anger.
I roll over to my side and crawl up on my knees, coughing. I felt bruised all over my body. This is all Matthew's fault and mine. It's his fault I keep getting hurt or almost killed. It's my fault that I let him.
"Didn't you hear me?!"
I felt a sudden rush of adrenaline and rage run through me. I stare coldly into his eyes. Past memories of us revolve in my mind. Every one of those memories was a lie. Everything about our friendship was a lie. Like he said, it's time to face the consequences.
"Get up!" He shouts. In one quick move, I ran up to him and tackle him down, sending us both to the ground with a loud thump. I start to wrap my hands around his neck, but he easily pushes me off and pins me to the floor by my shoulders.
I thought quickly and bit his wrist as hard as I can until he releases me and shouts out in pain. I stand up, and run to the exit of the bunker but Matthew was quick. He grabs me by waist and body slams me onto the floor. I scream out in pain. My back was still bruised from falling off the ladder.
I painfully stand up, ready to fight. I had no strength in me. No adrenaline in me. Nothing. I am as weak as a feather. Matthew pushes me against the bookcase harshly, harsh enough to make almost every object on the top shelf fall on my head. I cover my head with my arms to protect it from the glass sculptures, books, and flower vases tumbling off the shelf.
Almost every objects hits me, leaving a cut or bruise afterwards. Pain was all I felt. Inside and out.
When all of it was over, I didn't move from my position. Not because of the pain, but because I was scared. Scared of what's coming next from Matthew.
"Wow, you tried to fight me." Matthew said, laughing. "The weakest girl in the world tried to fight a football player!" He laughs even harder.
He continues on about how weak I am while I examine all the stuff that's fallen around me.
There was mostly just books, broken glass, and cracked vases.
I kept looking until I noticed something. A glass figure about twice the size of my hand laid on the floor. From my view, it looked like an elephant, but the back part of it was broken off. I slowly reach for it.
Matthew was still talking about me,"Ever since I met you, I always thought you were weak! Just plain weak!" My hand stalked closer to the glass elephant.
"You were born weak, and you're going to die the same way!" My hand grasped around the elephant's trunk. I quickly stand up, and collide the glass elephant into Matthew's head. Glass and blood flies everywhere. I watch Matthew collapse to the floor while the blood stains his blonde hair.
He doesn't move a muscle. The possibility of him dead sends chills down my spine, but I had to do it or it would be the other way around.
I stare at his body for a moment, I open my mouth to pray for him but I closed it. He deserves this. I look away, and climb the ladder up to the exit of the bunker. Once I climb out, fresh air moves through my clothes and hair. I breathe in all the air I could, smiling.
I escaped. I am free.

--

I ran to my neighbor's house, hoping they were home. Usually, I would go to Matthew's parent's house first. But they could be just as insane as him. Maybe even worse.

I knocked on the door hard. "Open up please! It's me, Emma!" I yelled. Silence. I knocked even harder. "Please open the door!" They had to be home. There's no one else I could go to. I would go to the police department if I knew where it was.