04 : Corner

Benjamin

I take off my jacket and put it back in the bag. It's six-thirty on my watch, and everyone from the team has left.

My supervisor cornered me in for a chat just a while ago. He mentioned his evaluation of my performance from the recent months. And he said he's forwarding a recommendation to promote me one level up. That means they're dropping 'Junior' from my job title.

I fish out my iPod and earphones and place them on the table as I swing my bag to the back. Then I grab them and walk out of the room.

I see Nick leaning on the wall and smirking at a girl who works on the midday shift.

"Hey, Benny," he says to me when he sees me passing by.

He's in his usual Lakers hoodie jacket, jeans, and basketball shoes. He's from Lee's team and is one year ahead of us in terms of working here.

I give him a half-meant nod. Then I put my earphones on and punch out of the office.

I don't like Nick. Well, almost half of the people here share the same sentiment. For one, he calls me that, even though I told him time and time again not to. And he always walks around the room like he's the most important thing the world has ever seen. He's not too shy as well in bragging how good of a programmer he is, among other things. I assume that's what he's trying to convince that girl back there. He gives meaning to the word 'cantankerous' in short. Even my supervisor thinks Nick is full of himself. But he's a rock star when it comes to Java. So, he may be an ass, but he's an asset in the office.

I go down to the underground pass to take the Loop from the other side. I'll take a jeep back to the train station this time. There are more people around here, unlike last night.

I notice the person approaching. Something about her reminds me of a familiar one. Glasses, black clothes, and a serious look on her face. But this one is shorter.

No. Not her.

I go on with my Saturday morning routine. Ride the Loop, hop-off at the station, take the train to the last stop, buy a newspaper from the stand outside, hop into a jeep, and walk back to the compound of townhouses where we live.

I drop my bag on the stairs first and give my dad the broadsheet. He immediately starts skimming through the paper while he slouches on the couch.

I received a message a while ago, so I check my phone.

Dominic: pancake house along comet st.

I don't reply. I leave it on the table first. Then I take out the tumblers from my bag and bring them to the kitchen.

Again, I think as I wash them. What do I have to lose?

I dry my hands after and reply to that text.

Me: Go ahead. I'll catch up later.

I go back to the stairs, lift my bag, and climb up to my room. Then I return and join my parents at the table for their breakfast, or in my case, dinner.

My phone dings once more.

Dominic: we're here

Dominic: r u gonna make it?

Me: Yes

I hide my phone back in my pocket and finish my meal.

"I think I'm going out with my friends from the office," I say to my parents. "In a little while," I add as I glance at the clock. It's almost eight.

"Okay," mom says with a nod.

They're also probably silently saying that it's about time I do so.