21 : Guilt

Kimberly

Marissa hands me my Frappuccino. We're lined up outside the Coliseum at around four this afternoon, sleep-deprived and tired from a long week. But it's Taylor Swift. We were only able to buy General Admission tickets—all other sections were sold out—last December, so we have to line up early to get good enough bleacher seats. The lines have already snaked around the venue at this hour.

Aya spots Goofy, who quickly apologizes to me for being late.

"Gates will open at six," I say. "The show will start at eight." I laugh. "We're not late."

He shrugs.

We don't talk to each other much while we're in line. Marissa says it's to preserve our energy for the concert itself. And before we know it, the people are moving, and we're getting inside.

We find ourselves three rows up on the side with a forty-five-degree angle of sight of the stage. We're facing the staircase on the set-up. But I wish we were one of those who can afford to stand next to and in between the platforms of the stage.

*

Taylor Swift performed thirteen songs, of course. Aya, Marissa, and I know all of them by heart. Goofy just nodded along to those that we hear radio stations play.

The whole place is packed with people, which means getting out is going to be a struggle.

We line up again toward the exits. Then we reach the lobby. Marissa has to go to the restroom first, so we wait for her near one of the huge pillars that are spiraled with red and green lights. And I see someone familiar standing against the wall.

"Althea?!"

"Kim!"

She runs to me and gives me a hug. She has me worried for a second. There are thousands of people around, and she's there by herself.

"Who are you with?"

"My brother," she points at the men's restroom, just as he's walking out.

He's wiping his hands on a hanky because, of course, he's someone who washes his hands after. Benjie stops midway when his eyes lock with mine.

"Hey," I greet him as he approaches us.

"I'm just her chaperone." He sounds defensive. "It's supposed to be Jessy's ticket," he adds nonchalantly.

"I'm not judging," I say with a laugh, and his pressed lips form the slightest smile.

Althea leans closer to my ear. "His favorite song is Dear John," she whispers, but loud enough for her brother to hear.

"No!" he exclaims. "I never said that."

"But you said you like it," she claims.

He looks down at his sister with a raised eyebrow. "I said it sounded good," he says. "That's not the same." Again, he sounds defensive.

She turns her back to him and faces me. "We're going to eat somewhere while we wait for dad to pick us up," she excitedly says. "You want to come along?" And I think she's hoping for a positive response.

"Kim!" I hear Goofy's voice.

I check back with my friends. Marissa rejoins them, and they're all waiting for—and watching—me.

"Sorry," I say to Althea. "I, um, already have plans with my friends. Next time?"

"Okay," she nods.

Benjie glances far behind me for a second. Then he holds on to his sister's shoulder. "Come on, kid." And they start walking away. But he looks back. "See you later, Kim," he says before he quickly loses eye contact with me.