48 : Sleep

September 2011

Benjamin

Me: I'm still in a meeting. Sorry.

Me: I'll be late for thirty minutes, I guess.

Kim: OK

Me: See you later. :*

One hour later

Answer the phone. Answer your phone.

No answer.

My battery is low, but I dial again.

She finally answers but doesn't say a word.

"Kim."

"..."

"I'm really sorry. There's this work thing, and it doesn't look like we're done yet for the day. There's still a lot to do, and I..."

"..."

"Say something, KP."

"I got to go."

She ends the call.

I sigh and reluctantly walk back to the room, silently cursing the wrong timing of this unnecessary meeting. If we just continue working in front of our computers, we can solve the problem right about now. But we're here instead and wasting time.

11:00 a.m.

Me: Kim...please answer my call.

Me: I'm sorry.

Me: Please reply.

Me: I'm really sorry.

Me: Kim...

Me: Kim...

And my phone dies.

I don't bring the charger with me. I also don't anticipate emergencies like this.

Diego notices my frustrated grunt as I throw my phone in my bag. "Easy, Golden Boy," he says. "One more test, and we're done." He sighs. "I hope." And he yawns.

Two hours later

I hop off a Loop jeep and cross the street to the beige five-story building. I run my way up the stairs, feeling the weight of my backpack as I go.

I press my hand on the wall next to the door as I knock and catch my breath. On my third series of knocks, I hear the chain and locks unbolting from the inside.

"What in the world?!" she cries.

Kim's half-straight, half-curly hair is all over her face. And she's wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.

I obviously woke her up.

She's wearing one of her oversized black shirts. This time, it's The Cure.

"What's wrong with you?" she asks once she figures out that it's me by the door. "It's the middle of the... It's the middle of the freaking day!"

She's furious either about earlier, about this, or both. And I can't blame her.

I drop my hand from the wall. "You weren't answering my calls nor texts," I say.

She yawns and tucks hair to the back of her ears. "My phone died a while ago," she says after. "It's charging. I must have forgotten to turn it on before I slept."

We stare blankly at each other for a second.

"Can we talk inside?" I ask.

She offers me a piercing glare. Then she sighs and lets go of the door.