15 : Lights

Kimberly

It's just eight-fifteen this Christmas Eve, and my phone has already exploded with messages.

6:15pm Benjie: Good evening...or morning...? :))

6:17pm Benjie: Have you changed your mind?

6:20pm Ian: merry xmas eve

6:45pm Kuya Kelvin: r u coming home tom?

7:00pm Kuya Kelvin: r u coming home tom?

7:30pm Benjie: It's just dinner, Kim :)

7:45pm Ian: r u guys wearing red 2day?

7:48pm Marissa: Merry Christmas!

8:00pm Gay Brian: party after work ;p

"Why are you in black? Are you living up to The Nightmare Before Christmas?" Aya asks.

She's standing next to her bed, arranging the things in her bag. I'm sitting on mine, thinking of whose message to reply to first, and what I'm going to say or the lies I'm going to tell.

I'm wearing a simple black dress. It's short-sleeved and goes down below my knees. "I don't have anything red," I say to my roommate. And I slip my feet into my black flats.

"Yes, you do," she says with a laugh. "That striped one," she points at my side of the closets, "with the three-fourth sleeves. We bought that together."

I unlock my phone. "But I'll look like a female Waldo in it," I tell Aya. "And black has always been my elemental shade." I'll reply to my brother first.

"Whatever you say, Kimberly."

Me to Kuya Kelvin: No, I can't.

My brother and I still remain our own version of close. We keep in touch, though we don't often see each other. I last saw him and his wife in early November, during my niece's birthday. It was held in their house, at a village near the outskirts of that city. Our parents were there too, and our cousin Peter. But I left early and told them I haven't really slept yet that day. It was a Sunday, and I've rested already.

Kuya Kelvin: ok merry xmas kimmy 

"So, you're just staying here?" Aya asks once we're on the ground floor.

The small lobby of this building has a tiny Christmas tree next to the door.

I drop my things on the wooden bench. "Yup," I say while I put on the grey cargo jacket I bought from a thrift store two blocks away.

It's a little windy outside, but the sky seems clear, and there's no indication of rain. I like this kind of weather—cool, but kind.

I'm also carrying the paper bag of gifts for our friends in the office, which Aya and I bought two weekends ago. Mall hours were extended then up to midnight, and we took advantage. She meticulously shopped for stuff, and I just grabbed a few generic ones.

I glance at my side to a street of houses. Almost all of them look alive with their Christmas lights on. There's a group of teenage carolers outside of one, and they sound kind of good. They deserve more than a twenty-peso bill, I think. There's also a group of younger kids by the corner, bickering loudly about how they should divide the coins they got from caroling.

We stop when we see the no-walking signal at the intersection.

"Benjie invited me over for their family dinner."

"What did you say?" Aya swiftly asks.

"I said no. Then I'll think about it. And now," I sigh, "I don't know."