Chapter 1

Amethyst

My stomach churned.

You'd think that by being an assassin, you'd be used to the sight and smell of blood, but I can't stand it. It makes me wonder whether I should rethink my  career choice. Thank God I don't have to clean this up.

I leave the room and exit the house stealthily. I start making my way back to my house, creeping in the shadows. No one is on the streets at this hour, but if anyone were to wake up and look out of there window, they'd be sure to see me. It's a big risk even walking along the street, since I usually creep through the side alleys, but if I follow this route, I'd be home a lot sooner.

After about five minutes I walk through my front door. My house is nothing special, it's small, nothing flashy, it's just... as normal as you can get. It has a basement and an attic, so that's pretty useful. I kick off my dirty boots and head down to the basement, where I store all my weapons. I take out my daggers that are encrusted in dried blood, gross. I start cleaning them, washing the blood off, sharpening the blade, polishing it to a shine.

I set the blade down, and then my phone vibrates. Well, my spare phone, that I use for work purposes, so nothing can be traced directly back to me. It's my boss asking how the task went:

 It's my boss asking how the task went:

I quickly deleted the chat and put the phone back in my pocket

Going undercover as a bodyguard? I've never done that before, how exciting! I suppose it'll help me get closer to the target, who's probably some big CEO.

I run upstairs and take a quick shower. I have to wake up early tomorrow morning to train, so I go to bed.

~~~

I woke up early like I planned and spent most of the morning training. I also decided to organise my weapons, and I sharpen and polish all the blades, as well as clean the house. What now? It's just a huge waiting game until 9 o'clock There's nothing I can do until I get that folder, and it feels like time has frozen.

I wonder how much I'll be paid this time? Perhaps I'll be paid for the amount of time I spend undercover, or maybe I'll be paid more if I complete the mission quickly? Usually an undercover mission has quite a big reward, and who knows how long I'll have to work undercover? Weeks? Months even!

Im bored out of my mind, there's nothing to do! I eventually decide to watch this random series on Netflix, the curtains are closed, and I have a bowl of popcorn next to me. One episode turns into twenty, and then before I know it, I've finished the first season! I look at the time, it's  6 o'clock. I guess the saying, "time flies when you're watching Netflix" is true. I should probably grab something to eat before heading out, so I fix up a quick dinner, and sit down to eat.

I prefer going to the meeting spot early, just so I can scope the area out, make sure no one's listening in on us, and in the unlikely event of being followed, I can try to lose my pursuer without being late.

I quickly get dressed in a simple, but comfortable outfit, and prepare a weapon, just in case. I must always be prepared. Once I'm ready, I walk outside and lock the door behind me, the last thing I need is someone to break in. I decide to take the scenic route, and walk slowly through the small park about a block away. I leave the park and turn left, leaving the neighborhood and entering the busier part of the town. The streets are still bustling with people, although it's getting late. Various stores line the streets, keen onlookers gazing through the windows at everything on display.

As I continue to walk, the streets become empty, and silent. The stores becoming scarce, and there are dark alleys in between all the buildings. I see a dark alley to my right, between a quint Cafe and a thrift store, both closed, and I quickly dart down the alley. The alley splits on half, going behind both buildings and I turn down the alley going behind the thrift store. It's empty, as I expected. The meeting place isn't the prettiest, or the cleanest, but it'll have to do. If people have a drop of common sense, they won't go exploring alleyways once it gets dark, unless they're stupid.

I lean against the wall, hidden in the shadows, and wait. I check my watch, it's around 8 o'clock. I didn't realize how long I took to get here, I was probably walking at a snails pace. Way to go Amethyst, you totally didn't look suspicious by walking slower than an old lady on crutches!

I immediately tense at the sound of voices coming closer. I try to interpret their incoherent conversation, but I fail, and I brace myself. My hand slowly reaches into my pocket and I  tightly grip the knife inside. The voices come closer, and then they eventually fade. I'm just trying to scare myself, it was probably just workers going home. I sigh in relief. I didn't feel like having to explain why I was waiting in alley to a couple of strangers, or having to explain why there were a couple of bodies littered around the alley to my boss.

I'm about to go back to leaning against the wall, when I stiffen, hearing a voice just around the corner, where the alleyway splits.

"Haven't you learned to never let your guard down?"

1063 words (including texts)

~So here it is, the first chapter! I hope you enjoyed it, and don't forget to vote and comment 💜~

Husky UwU💜