Chapter 7

You're probably wondering "Why would you go running shortly after you ate!?" Well we're asking ourselves the same thing, and yes, we did get side stitches. This is just another moment that we can remember when we contemplate our poor life decisions in the future. But this jog also gave me the opportunity to get to know my surroundings.

We were sitting in the kitchen, discussing different fitness techniques and workouts, when Liam's phone rang. It was the airport, finally calling him to tell him that his suitcase was found. He thanked the caller and hung up, immediately jumping up.

"Okay, I need to get going," he said while looking for the car keys, "Do what you want, but the third and fourth floor is off limits." He rushed out, and I heard the sound of the car starting shortly afterwards. I suppose the family stays upstairs, but I haven't see or heard them, at all. And if Liam and Cadenza are out, and if Carter's shift was last night, then who's on duty? Definitely not me! Oh well, I don't know anything, so they can't blame me.

Well, maybe I could explore a bit, but there isn't much to explore, besides the first and second floor. I can't risk exploring the neighborhood, because I'll probably get lost. Now that will be an embarrassing phone call to make. I can just picture myself calling Liam to help me find the house. I think I'll just relax for a while. Now would be a good time to start a new series. Hopefully they have Netflix. I walk into the living room. There's a cushioned L-shaped couch, with a fluffy, white rug laying in front of it, as well as a glass coffee table. There's a huge flat-screen TV mounted on the wall, above another stone fireplace.

But do you know what will make this living room even better?

It'll look amazing, if Carter wasn't passed out on the couch, snoring away. Seriously? Well that isn't going to stop me. If he wanted peace and quiet, he should've gone to his room instead.

I pick up the TV remote and switch the TV on. I find a comfortable place on the couch that isn't occupied by Carter's sleeping body. Thankfully, they have Netflix, and I start scrolling through the shows, looking for something interesting. I find a series that seems good. As the intro plays, Carter jumps up and looks around, startled. I pause the episode.

"Goodmorning, I'm so glad that you could join us," I say, "sir." Can you hear the sarcasm that should dripping from this statement? If only I could've said that sarcastically.

"What do you think you're doing West?" he asks grumpily.

"Watching Netflix, but what were you doing," I comment, "sir"

"Can't you go watch your stupid show somewhere else?" he grumbles. Well this just proves that he isn't a morning person.

"Can't you go take a nap in your room?" I ask, "Beds are there for a reason you know."

He sighs, "Fair enough."

Wow, I can't believe I just won this argument. I expected him to lecture me about talking back or something, but apparently not!

"What series are you watching?" he suddenly asks. Is he talking to me? Ugh, I suppose I have to answer.... I show him the title of the series, and i expect him to just get up and walk away afterwards, but he stays seated.

"Well what are you waiting for?" he says, "Aren't you gonna start the episode?" What the-

"Why are you so surprised?" he quietly chuckles, "Do you think I just work all day or something, even when I'm not on duty?"

"Well, yeah."

"Can you just start the episode, please?"

I press play and sit back and get comfortable. Carter is sitting at the other end of the couch, a large distance between us. Finally, some personal space.