Chapter 3

I quickly cross the pedestrian crossing and approach the entrance of the fitness center. It's 7:50 right now, on a fine, Wednesday morning. The little interview is scheduled for 8am, and it's been a week since everything was confirmed. I spent a lot of my time training and preparing for the mission.

I push the door open and walk into the lobby. It's fairly empty, except for a young man, with blonde hair and blue eyes, looking at his phone. He looks like he's only in his twenties, like me.

"Liam Kaberline?" I ask before he even get the chance to notice me. He quickly looks up and smiles. I note that his eyes are as blue as ice, but his smile brightens up his whole face.

"Yes, that's me, you must be Heather West then?" he replies cheerfully. Ah, Heather West, my new identity. It'll take a while to get used to that name. But after all, how can I become a bodyguard if I have the name of a semi-well-known assassin?

"Yes that's me."

Liam extends his hand out for a handshake, but I just stare at his outstretched hand, not moving a muscle. Is he being serious? Does he really expect me to shake his hand? Apparently he does, because a look of disappointment briefly flashes on his face, but he covers it with a smile.

He chuckles. "There's no need to be so formal you know."

"Well, I am here for some sort of interview right? And those are usually, I don't know, pretty formal and professional, correct me if I'm wrong." I state blankly.

He laughs again. That wasn't meant to be funny. He sees the blank look on my face and laughs even more. Once he's finally calmed down he says, "I'm standing here in basketball shorts, this obviously won't be professional."

"Oh"

Well that is a bit of a relief, and a disappointment. How can this guy, who can't take anything seriously, be a bodyguard. I'm a bit concerned about the safety of this family they're protecting. I just hope the other bodyguards are more professional than him.

"I just wanted to get to know you and test your abilities before we fly out to LA." He smiles.

Wait, what!? Firstly, this whole interview, thing, isn't even a big deal!? This is wasting my time, I could've completed a whole mission by now! And secondly, flying out to LA!? What the hell!? I'm in utter disbelief. Wait! Boss must've known about this, he just didn't tell me, because he knew I wouldn't accept th-

My thoughts are interrupted by Liam waving his hand in front of my face. I snap out of my mental rage session and stare at him in complete shock.

"But obviously you've been informed about this, so I don't need to go into too much detail, now let's go for a run!" he exclaims. I was about to correct him and tell him that he has it all wrong, but he was already waiting by the door for me. He holds the door open, I nod my head in his direction and start slowly jogging. I wait for him to quickly catch up and then we're off.

~~~

We finish the jog and come back to the fitness center. Liam and I are both slightly out of breath, but he managed to keep up with me, which is impressive. I'm used to sprinting for hours on end. I have to admit, this jog was nice, even though Liam was talking to me the entire time and trying to get to know me. I also managed to get to know him, which will be useful in the future.

Here's what I've learned. Liam is 23, like me, and he has a sister who is the same age, who also works with them. He grew up here in this state, but moved to England to live with his father when he was 13, and in high school he was on the first team for rugby. That means it'll take more effort to outrun him, although I don't know about the others. He also told me that he's single, but I did not need that piece of information at all! That immediately put me off for the rest of the jog.

We had a quick water break then we went to go lift some weights. Liam was obviously better, since he was more well-built than me, but that didn't stop me.

"Wow, that's pretty impressive." he marvels.

I scoff. "What, I'm not an amateur!" He laughs at that too. I've noticed that he laughs a lot, but maybe he's too goofy for his own good. What if someone who's potential threat just tells him a really funny joke? Would he just keel over from laughing so hard and roll around on the floor? Well that isn't very professional.

Afterwards, Liam and I continue "training" on the rest of the equipment, and eventually an hour and a half passes by.

"It seems that you're pretty strong, but how's your combat skills?" he jokingly asks. Ah, the classic "let's try to catch them off guard with a punch" tactic.

I swiftly turn around just in time to see his fist flying towards me. I easily block it and send a kick towards his side. Liam slightly stumbles to the side. While he's caught off guard I aim a punch at his jaw, but fortunately for him, he blocks it just in time. I quickly elbow him in the chin, causing him to stumble back slightly from the force, before he can retaliate. He then rushes forward to try and tackle me to the ground, I quickly step to the side and he falls forward, but not onto the floor. He quickly straightens up but it's too late, in one swift motion I kick his legs out from beneath him, and as if the world's in slow motion, he slowly falls to the floor with a thud.

Liam rises with a chuckle and extends his hand out towards me. "Congratulations, you're hired!" he cheers with a big smile. And like before, I don't move.

"Don't worry, I surrender, I'm not tricking you." he reassures. I then hesitantly reach for his hand, my hand now clasped in his firm grip. He shakes my hand and says, "It was a pleasure training with you, Heather, I have a feeling that we'll be great friends." I remove my hand from his and I notice a small, folded piece of paper in my hand. Now that definitely wasn't there before.

I'm about to say something to Liam, but when I look up, all I see is his retreating back.

I unfold the piece of paper and it contains a neatly written sentence, and, a number...

"Here's my number, send a text if you need anything"

When I leave the fitness center, there's a small hint of a smile on my face.

~Oof, so writing action scenes are way out of my comfort zone, and I'm sorry it's bad, but hopefully it'll get better later on in the book

Remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter💜~

~Husky UwU💜