Chapter 26

In a situation like this, most people would freak out about that fact that they're up so high, but not me. I'm used to heights, but what I'm freaked out about is the fact that I'm tied up. If anyone attacks me, there's no way I can defend myself without tipping backwards and falling over the edge.

I try and look around for any other forms of life but the roof top appears empty. At the other end of the rooftop, there's a building with a door, most likely leading to the stairs. If I think about this logically, I'm at a very big disadvantage. If the suspect comes back before anyone else finds me, they could easily push me over the edge as soon as that door bursts open. And who knows when someone will find me...

Whoever did this obviously took all of my possessions while I was unconscious. Speaking of which, I don't even know how long I was knocked out for. It's already dark, but that doesn't help very much. If only I had a watch on, although they would've taken that too if they were smart.

As if on cue, the door at the other end of the rooftop slams open and three people emerge. They approach and it doesn't come as a shock to me when I recognize my boss among them. I can't see the other two's faces yet, they lingered behind my boss so they're further away.

"I see that someone had a sudden change of heart." he comments, as monotonous as always.

"Looks like I'm not the only one, kidnapping isn't your style," I respond, "Neither is a personal visit."

"Well I wouldn't have been here if you could do your damn job properly," he snaps, "What's so hard about just assassinating one person? I thought you would be able to handle an easy job like that but I was wrong."

"If it's so easy then why don't you do it yourself?" I scoff, "Or are you too scared of getting arrested." My head whips to the side as his hand comes into contact with my cheek. My cheek stings as I turn my head to look at him.

"Should I take care of her?" The other person speaks up as they move closer. It's quite obvious that they're a man because of their muscular stature and deep, raspy voice. When he's closer I take a look at his face. He looks oddly familiar, I must've seen him somewhere before. He must be my boss' new goon. I hate to think about what happened to the last one.

"Keep an eye on her, don't. Do. Anything." my boss orders, "She's our bait after all." Then he leaves the rooftop and I'm left with the two strangers. The other one is still to far away for me to recognize.

"God this is boring." I say after a few minutes of silence. The man standing nearby quickly turns around and slaps me.

"Shut up." he growls.

"Didn't you hear what boss said, or are you just stupid?" the other person drawls. A female's voice, "We aren't supposed to do anything, remember?"

"I don't see a problem with her having a few scratches and bruises, and neither should you," the man responds, "It'll make her better bait don't you think?" The other woman scoffs and approaches the edge of the rooftop. As she comes closer her features become more visible.

"Isabelle?" My eyes widen as I recognize her familiar face, except this isn't the Isabelle I know from LA. Her hair is cropped short, she's wearing dark, grungy makeup and she has too many piercings to count. She swapped her stylish, expensive clothing for a worn out leather jacket with black ripped jeans. I couldn't miss the gun holstered at her side. She rolls her eyes at my question.

"Didn't it ever occur to you that you weren't the only one undercover?" she asks sarcastically, her voice harsh and cold, "I didn't take you for an idiot."

"What happened to you?"

"What happened to me? We should be asking you that." she responds, "Surely you figured out that I can't be the real Isabelle Hart by now, right?"

"How long? How long were you impersonating her?"

"Well, I can't really explain it but the real Isabelle Hart didn't leave the airport in one piece." The fake Isabelle explains with the sugary sweet voice I'm used to hearing and she giggles uncontrollably.

"That's disgusting." I spit out.

"You're not one to talk Amethyst Stone," the man interrupts, "All the people you killed must be turning in their graves because of what you just said. Ha. I can't believe an assassin is looking down on another for actually doing there job."

"Did you know that this is actually plan B? Do you wanna know what Plan A was?" The fake Isabelle taunts, "You were supposed to die last night." She giggles again and my body goes numb.

"If only someone could aim properly." She snarls at the other man. That's when something suddenly clicks.

"You were the man that Talia and Kestin saw the other night, weren't you?" I ask the man.

"Ding ding ding! 10 points for you!" the fake Isabelle exclaims, "It took you a while huh? You're probably wondering, why would we intentionally be seen meeting each other?"

"That was all part of the plan. If there's any suspicion, there's an alibi for our Isabelle." the man smirks.

"Oh, he was trying to assassinate me?" Isabelle acts out, "I thought I could trust him, he said he was gonna come to the dinner party... So I told him I was gonna wear a baby blue, off the shoulder dress... " She starts to giggle, which eventually turns to hysterical laughter. Eventually she calms down and unstraps the gun.

"Oh.... " she sighs in content, "Killing you will be fun..." she brings the gun to her temple and mimics pulling the trigger.

"But we'll have to kill your darling Carter first."

Hi

Hi. So I'm just gonna refer to the fake Isabelle as The Imposter in the A/N lol.
Anyhoo, The Imposter is actually inspired by Midari Ikishima from Kakegurui (if you know you know)

~Husky