Chapter 3

This is an edited chapter, so some things may be slightly different.

____

If you were to be at Nagareboshi hill at noon, you would have seen a mismatched pair sitting their hair occasionally. One of them being the kyuubi brat, the other a famed Anbu. Every now and then, the blonde haired one would suddenly jump up from his seat, arms waving around enthusiastically as if trying to prove a point to the other man. Then, the one with the gravity defying silver hair would say something to him and ruffle his hair gently. This cycle continues on and on. By the time they decided to leave, they were decidedly closer to each other.

"Why did you choose to become a ninja at such a young age? " Kakashi asked, curious. He didn't peg Naruto as a prodigy, or someone special. He wasn't even born in a clan.

" I wanna become a hero. " Naruto said absentmindedly, focusing on his ramen. " A hero is loved by everyone! I want people to accept me too. "

" A hero is not necessarily loved and respected by everyone." Kakashi mumbled, but it didn't escape Naruto's sensitive ears. The blonde looked at Kakashi concerned. Kakashi smiled reassuringly back, "What I mean to say is, you are a hero, because you are respected and loved by everyone, not the other way round." Naruto fell silent, for the first time throughout the span of their meal.

Kakashi sighed to himself. What was he thinking? Telling a young child something like this. But it just slipped out, he couldn't stop himself from saying it, and one part of him didn't want to. Maybe it was because of Naruto's resemblance to Minato, but Kakashi suddenly saw Naruto standing infront of multitudes, citizens of konoha in fact. And they were cheering for him. And it didn't feel so far fetched, if he tilted to the right angle, just where the sunrays reflected off the bright yellow hair of the Uzumaki and created a long shadow behind him. Kakashi could almost see a grown up naruto, but that vision was destroyed almost immediately when Naruto tripped over nothing and fell face flat on the ground. Kakashi chuckled. Maybe it was himself that he saw in Naruto.

And the afternoon was warm, warm and comfortable. The best he felt since the day he joined Anbu. Maybe it was because of how at ease he felt with Naruto, that he faltered for a moment. The space deep inside him that he kept locked up with the strongest lock grew weak.

(With a start, Kakashi realised that he was starting to miss his father)

And he shook that thought out of his mind.

"Are you done eating? Yes? Alright then, let's go to the training grounds and see that you can do eh."

Naru's eyes literally shined so bright that it almost, almost resembled Guy's when he was in his youthful mode. Kakashi felt a shiver run through his body. How scary. Naruto better stay away from Guy.

" We are gonna start my training like right now? Oh my Jashin I love you Kaka-nii! "

" Maa, Maa. I know I'm very lovable  but don't go around confessing to others like that. Come on come on, let's get going before we lose daylight."

Naruto rolled his eyes before running after Kakashi.

The duo ended up training ground 10. A huge area of even ground, perfect to test Naruto.

"Alright Naruto, let's start with some endurance training. Run laps around the training ground until you can't move anymore. And....go!" One lap was almost a Kilometer, Naruto should be able to manage, with that stamina if his.

Naruto immediately took off in a sprint, and Kakashi settled down beneath a tree with a light chuckle. He whipped out a bright yellow book started to engross himself in the literature.