Ch. 1: The Rejects

(F/N POV)

At the age of 6, when I was already living with my Aunt May and Uncle Ben, we found out I was quirkless. When I was little, I dreamed of being a hero one day, like many my age, but this news made those dreams look unreachable. My aunt and uncle were very supportive and I put on a brave face for them. Besides, I came to realize that we didn't have much money and hero school was expensive. I knew that if this was something I really wanted, they would tell me not to worry about the money, but I decided to find a new dream. 

While at school, I became enamored with science and thought of pursuing a career in the field. One day, I could make enough money to support them instead of the other way around. Maybe I could even engineer gear to help heroes in some capacity. So I devoted my studies to science and engineering, especially at the tail end of middle school, hoping I could get a part-time job through high school in a lab. I even went to the junkyard occasionally to salvage electronics and put them back together.

I went to Aldera Junior High. In my class was:

Eugene "Flash" Thompson, my personal bully. He was an American exchange student who had lived in Japan since he was a kid, so he was fluent in Japanese. I thought with me being half-American, we would have something in common, but instead he preferred to tease me and occasionally stuff me in a locker. His quirk was called Symbiosis and it gave him a sentient black blob creature. He could use the symbiote, which he called Venom, to form just about anything he could imagine. Venom had a personality of his own and Flash had to eat for both of them, otherwise Venom would get upset and threaten to eat people. When Flash got serious, he was in control, but apparently if he gets really angry, Venom takes over and could go on a rampage. Luckily, this has never happened. Venom is not a fan of fire or high-pitched noises making Bakugo a bad match up in a fight, which is ironic since they bullied me together on occasion.

Also in my class was a pretty girl named Felicia Hardy, who was also an American exchange student. We didn't talk much, but I heard a rumor that her dad was an old cat burglar. Don't know if she takes part in the family business. Her quirk gives her the agility and reflexes of a cat and she had long white hair. She tended to mind her own business but that didn't stop her from being popular. She lived with her foster parents and she had actually been my next-door-neighbor since we were young, though I don't know if she really ever noticed me.

Another quiet, shy kid like me was in my class. His name was Izuku Midoriya. He has messy green hair, green eyes, and is kind of scrawny, although I guess I'm not one to talk. We talked occasionally, especially about pro heroes. He was a big fan of heroes like me and he dreamed of becoming a hero one day. The only problem was that he was quirkless. As far as I know, we are the only two kids in the whole school who are quirkless. Despite this, he continued making notes about heroes and didn't give up on it. It was admirable, especially since I was in a similar boat and changed my goals while he didn't. Though it made the bullying worse on him.

His personal "Flash" (his bully) was named Katsuki Bakugo. He had blonde, spiky hair, red eyes, and a hot temper. His quirk allowed him to secrete nitroglycerin-like substance from his palms, which he can then detonate at will. I would be interested in studying it, but I'm not about to ask if I can. I got a feeling I already know what he would say. Luckily, he didn't bother me as much. Unfortunately, Midoriya was not so lucky. Bakugo and him have been "friends" since they were really young and Bakugo thinks Midoriya is weak because he doesn't have a quirk. Meanwhile, Bakugo was praised by everyone he knew for his amazing quirk. He especially despises Midoriya because he wants to be a hero despite not possessing a quirk. He's a petty narcissist but I guess that's what happens when you receive non-stop praise from winning the genetic lottery and getting such a strong quirk.