Vigilante Chronicles #9: Tragedy & Truth

(F/N's POV)

It wasn't long before the police and others found out about Felicia's death. They discovered some of her belongings scorched in the fire they found after the fire department and the hero Backdraft put out the fire. They found a body, but the burns made it very difficult to identify the victim. All evidence pointed to the victim of the fire being Felicia Hardy and the police believe it was intentional. They were aware of her previous criminal records with her father and uncle and suspected Felicia planned a robbery on some not so friendly people. 

Felicia's foster parents were pretty broken up when they found out. Felicia was 9 years old when her dad was arrested and she was inevitably sent to live with her foster parents. They never had any other children and were happy to take Felicia in. For a time, they all seemed happy, including Felicia. It came as a surprise to them when they found out she was up to her old habits of thievery that she was used to with her father. They were hoping to give Felicia a chance at a normal life, but were sad to see she never truly left the profession her father taught her. 

Even Felicia's father wanted to change after getting arrested. He saw his time in prison as a time to reflect on the damage he caused and has chosen to leave his old life behind. He was shocked when he got the news, but I'd find out soon enough what he thought of it all.

Five weeks went by since that night when Felicia's foster parents had a funeral for her. They kept it relatively private, but invited Aunt May and I to come since we had been such good neighbors and they knew how much Felicia meant to me. Ever since that night I didn't do any work as Spider-Man. I was having a bit of an identity crisis since that night. I put on the mask to help people, but I couldn't save one of the people who mattered to me most. Was it really worth it, being Spider-Man. Could real heroes do more good than me?

The worst part was that the man responsible for her death has pretty much the exact same powers as me and claims that one day I'll end up a killer like him. In that moment after her death, it almost seemed like I was going to prove him right. I felt the same rage I did the night my uncle died and I would've killed Gargan if I didn't remember that night; how that hero Eraser Head talked me down from making the biggest mistake of my life. The point still stood that I helped Felicia steal and then was helpless to save her. Was I causing more trouble then I was stopping by wearing the mask?

We didn't say too much at the funeral. Her foster mom was the most broken up about it. As the ceremony was finishing up, Aunt May and her walked off towards the cars, my aunt doing her best to comfort Felicia's mom. I looked down at her grave with guilt wracking my brain. If I had done things differently, maybe she'd be alive. Felicia's foster dad seemed to notice and walked up next to me, putting his hand on my shoulder.

Felicia's Foster Dad: "It's going to alright, kiddo. I know you two grew close. I'm sorry you're going through all this at such a young age."

I could tell by his voice that he was still in pain and was doing his best to sound strong. It was difficult for me to find my words before I responded to him.

F/N: "I'm sorry for you too, sir. You both gave her the best life you could offer."

Felicia's Foster Dad: "I'm glad you think so. I just wanted to be a good fatherly role model for her. I was hoping we could give her the chance to be what she wanted to be, not what she was trained to be. It looks like I failed."

F/N: "I-I don't think so, sir. Felicia may have been going through things out of anyone's control. You shouldn't blame yourself. She may have thought it was her responsibility to do what her father did."

Felicia's Foster Dad: "Thank you for the reassurance. Still, I think we can always do more. But, we always have a choice, F/N. Unfortunately, this was Felicia's choice. If I had the chance to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I wish I tried harder to give her a new life. Her father, Walter wants to change too from what I hear. I just wish he could've passed the message along to Felicia as well. She would have listened to him."