Ch. 12: The Results

Italics = Thoughts

(F/N's POV)

Another evening at the lab. It would feel the same as always, that is if I wasn't still waiting to hear back from U.A. about the entrance exam. It had been a week since the test and I got nothing back about it. I was sure one of these days the heroes and police would come by the house to tell me it didn't work out and they'd figure out some punishment for my vigilante work. Flash and Midoriya apparently didn't hear anything yet either.

I was glossing over some notes in the lab with Dr. Octavius across from me. He looked at me and could tell my heart just wasn't in it right now. 

Otto: "Hey, F/N. You look tired."

I shook my head as if to try to refocus.

F/N: "Oh, uh, sorry about that, Dr. Octavius. I guess my mind is wondering a bit."

Otto: "Why don't you head home. It's getting late anyways."

F/N: "You sure? I can keep working if you need me."

Otto: "I can handle it. I'm gonna step out and get some food in a bit anyway. Go on. I'll be okay."

I stood up and moved to the coat hanger to put up my lab coat and grab my jacket.

F/N: "Thanks, doc. I'll be back to normal real soon. Just waiting to hear back from my high school. At least I hope it will be mine."

I hadn't told doc about U.A. In fact, he still didn't know I now had a quirk. I decided it'd be best to keep it to myself so that he could focus on his work. He doesn't need my personal issues getting in the way. I felt kinda bad not telling him. He'd probably believe me if I said I was going into the support course at U.A., but I didn't want to outright lie either. The whole situation was complicated with my past as a vigilante and my out of nowhere quirk thrown into the mix.

Otto: "I wish you the best. Now that you'll be moving up to high school, you probably will be busy with your studies. You know, if you want to take a leave of absence for the time being, it'd be more than alright." 

I thought about it for a few seconds before responding.

F/N: "Thanks for the offer. You're probably right when you say I won't have as much time. But...your work is so important and I've been glad to be a part of it. That's why I'm not giving up on it. I may not have as much availability, but I will still continue with your work, if you'll have me still."

Otto: "Of course, F/N. I've had a rough patch in my career for some time. That's why I decided to move into Dr. Connors' lab. You've been a valuable worker and I know you are just as dedicated to my work...to our work, as I am. No matter what happens, you'll have a place here."

F/N: "Thank you, Dr. Octavius. I'm happy to hear that. I'm glad I met you and even more glad that you let me join you."

I bowed to him to show respect. The man had always been so kind to me and his drive inspired me. Of course I wanted to be a hero and now I could be, but that doesn't mean I'll leave the good work I've done as a scientist behind me.

Octavius seemed surprise by my sudden formal demeanor.

Otto: "No need to be so formal, F/N. But...thank you. Now go. Get some rest and stop by when you can."

F/N: "Yes, sir. Have a nice night. See you soon."

I grabbed my bag and went to the exit. Before long I was on the train heading home. I thought back to the exam. I was kinda iffy about the written exam since I had less time to prepare, but I hoped my score on the practical exam was enough to get me by. One way or another, I'll be hearing from the heroes real soon. I made it home and went into the house like normal. Aunt May was in the kitchen. I set my bag down in the dining room and went in to see her cooking dinner. She was currently stirring a pot of food.