Chapter Thirteen

Catalina

I could tell Nic knew I wasn't telling him the whole truth, but he didn't push me. He trusted me.

For some reason, that filled me with pride.

Nic pulled away with an easy smile. "I've got to head home now. See you tomorrow, Icy."

I rolled my eyes that the Nic Name and watched him head off.

The next morning was a frenzied blur of me struggling to get ready for school, rushing to my locker because I only had a few minutes until the bell rang, and finding somebody waiting for me.

"So," Nic started, eyeing me up and down with a smirk. "The mixer is tonight."

I frowned. "And I have to show up as Robin. Don't I, Batman?"

Nic laughed like a madman. "Have fun getting those tights on."

I'm going to look ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as him in that Lilo costume.

As if he could read my mind, Nic pinched my cheeks and said, "Aww, don't worry. You'll look adorable And you'll get your revenge one day."

I started to lean forward when somebody cleared their throat behind us. "No PDA."

I was going to slam my forehead against his, not kiss him.

"Hey, Zack," Nic said before kissing me.

Well, okay.

"My eyes!" Zack wailed. "No!"

I pushed Nic's face away, fighting off those teenage hormones adults are always talking about. He licked my hand and winked at me as I jumped back with a screech.

Ms. Grant, standing a little farther down the hallway, saw all of this, along with Mrs. Legend.

I know how horrible all of this is. Feel bad for me.

"Nic! Catalina!" Ms. Grant exclaimed while marching down the hall. Mrs. Legend hurried after her.

You could see the blood drain from Nic's face as Zack started laughing.

"What do you two think you're-"

"We're discussing chess," Nic interrupted.

Ms. Grant stopped, stared, blinked a few times. "What?"

Mrs. Legend raised his eyebrows like she couldn't wait to hear how Nic talked his way out of this one or explained the chess thing.

"Chess," Nic said.

"No, you two kissed!" Ms. Grant exclaimed.

"But after that we started talking about chess," Nic replied.

"I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE CHESS TALK!"

"Don't worry, we aren't having u-" Nic started before I kicked him.

"Shut up!" I exclaimed.

He's going to get us in so much trouble.

Zack and Mrs. Legend simultaneously started laughing while Ms. Grant stared at her nephew. Nic grabbed my hand and ran, dragging me through the halls with him.

I guess I'll never get my textbooks. Oh well, it's just one of those days. I'm so not looking forward to cooking now.

We turned a corner and ran straight into Kyle.

OW! FUCK! OW!

Kyle stumbled back and looked at the two of us in surprise. "Oh, hey."

I could just tell Nic was about to get all dramatic. He grabbed Kyle's arm, then mine, and dragged us into the first empty classroom he could find.