Chapter Fifteen

Nic

I stood in the middle of the zoo, fighting a notorious blonde supervillain dressed in all green. Ghost came into my peripheral, meaning she finally managed to lure all the flamingos back to their enclosure.

"I can't believe her!" I exclaimed before punching Evergreen square in the face. "Or you! Seriously, we just did this an hour ago! Why would you do the same zoo stunt twice in one night?"

Evergreen quickly recovered, making vines wrap around my feet. "Who else are you talking about? Also, where's your backup?"

Ghost gave an agitated sigh. "His girlfriend, that's who. Most of our backup is too busy trying to catch Scarlet Cat, who happened to make an appearance all the way up in Maine, by the way. Is there something special about tonight that made every supervillain decide to do something crazy?"

"Maybe the Halloween spirit is getting to everyone and we couldn't wait another sixteen days for the actual day," Evergreen commented.

Fauna suddenly appeared as I burned the vines holding me in place. Evergreen frowned and made more wrap around my feet. I gave her an exhausted stare, then burned them again.

"I got all the animals into their enclosures," Fauna said. "Except the snow leopard."

I exchanged a look with Ghost. "Where the Hell did the snow leopard run off to?"

Fauna turned to Evergreen and I swear her eye twitched. "Funny how after we just stopped you from releasing all these animals, you came back an hour later and tried it again. You know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, right?"

They always did this. Each time Fauna and Evergreen fought, Ghost and I had to step back and watch like referees.

Evergreen winked, taking a step closer. "Not my fault you can't keep up with me."

Fauna pounced, knocking Evergreen down before pinning her hands above her head. "What was that?"

"Sexual tension," Ghost muttered.

There's so much of it, it's making the air thin.

"Fauna, we're heading back to TVAH. You clearly don't need our help," I called out.

Fauna seemed to pause for a moment as Evergreen looked over at us. "Go ahead, I'll have her at TVAH in no time."

Evergreen looked up at her rival. "C'mon, Fauna, baby. If you arrest me, the only place you'll be able to see my beautiful face is behind bars."

"Are you trying to seduce me?" Fauna questioned with a dubious look.

"I've been trying to for months now, thanks for finally noticing."

"Open a portal," I demanded, turning to Ghost. I sent a glance over my shoulder and spotted two more girls approaching. "Oh, come on!"

"It could be worse," Viper said, pulling her hand away from Oleander's. "We could have brought Bliss to drug you."

I stared for a moment before remembering that Viper was immune to poison. I made a mental note not to let her touch me.

"I've been having a rough few days," Ghost said. "That kind of sounds stellar right now."

Viper pulled a vial of neon green liquid out of her utility belt and tossed it. Ghost's hand shot out to grab it, catching it just before it would have hit the ground.

"That's a party drug," Viper commented. "Consider it a gift."

Are you trying to drug my teammate?