Chapter Twenty Four

Nic

Was I hearing her right?

"It was an accident!" I snapped. "She-"

"I don't believe you! You're so fucking messed up, Inferno! I don't know why I've tried working with you!" Ghost shouted. "Riptide got shot in the chest by that bitch and you didn't even try to go after her! You just froze, like a coward!"

Ethereal skidded into the room and looked between the two of us, trying to step in the middle. "Hey-"

"Back off!" I snarled, pushing her out of the way before I threw a fireball at Ghost that she barely dodged.

Ghost teleported in font of me through a shadow and swung. I ducked and backed up, getting a view of the mess I made. I hadn't even noticed until then that the fire had spread out across an exhibit. An alarm suddenly went off, followed by sprinklers.

I flinched at the cold water raining down on my before focusing on Ghost again, steam rolling off my skin where each drop landed.

This just got ten times harder. Great.

She created another beam of light, blinding me for an instant. I rubbed furiously at my eyes, waiting for her to attack. When she got close enough, I elbowed her in the stomach and knocked her down to the floor by punching her with everything I had. The world turned into shadows but my vision was starting to come back with each blow I delivered.

Catalina ripped me off of her a few hits in, letting me catch sight of the blood. Her nose might have been broken, but for some reason I didn't feel like that was enough. I wanted more.

I broke out of Ethereal's grip and surged forward as Ghost got back up, barely blocking her kick. She slammed a fist under my jaw hard enough to send me reeling back.

Something snapped.

Flames consumed my body, ready to explode despite the agony from each sprinkle that hit me. Everything was her fault. This fight was her fault. She blamed me for something without letting me explain. She refused to listen when I tried. She killed Outpour and let Sidestep go down for it. That was why Blazing and Polar hated us. If Sidestep was after us, it was her fault. But none of that matter.

The top of it all was that she almost got Catalina killed.

In that moment, I hated her completely.

And then Catalina grabbed my wrists, despite the fact I was on fire. I snapped out of my fit of rage instantly, yanking my arms away with wide eyes as she choked down a pained cry.

The flames died. Ghost panted and slid to the floor. Police sirens wailed outside.

"Let's go!" Ethereal spat. She turned to Ghost and walked over to her. "Are you okay?"

Ghost nodded and waved a trembling hand over the ground, a shadow portal opening up under her palm. "There. It's better if you don't interact with the police."

I followed after Cat, falling for a split second before we landed in my basement.

Catalina clutched her hands close to her chest. I gave her a pitiful look before checking upstairs to make sure nobody was home. I got burn ointment from the medicine cabinet and walked back downstairs.