Chapter Thirty One

Nic

It was finally Halloween.

"I'm just saying you'd look good as a rabbit girl."

I came to an abrupt stop. Catalina sent me a startled look while Lucca sidled up beside Chloe.

I still felt like vomiting. I don't know why I let myself eat a funnel cake, ice cream, and cotton candy all in one go. Just before getting on a ride shaped like a space ship that threw us against the walls without any restraints to keep us in place to make it worse. The walls slid up to the ceiling as we spun in a circle at speeds that would've made any speedster jealous.

Somehow Lucca made me feel worse than I did on the ride.

"I'm not wearing matching maid, animal themed costumes with you, Lucca. Show some confidence. Be a cat girl maid all by yourself."

Chloe finally noticed us, then shot us a look that screamed for help. She was seated on a fake gravestone near a tree with Lucca right beside her, looking like he was about to wrap an arm around her shoulder. I cringed.

"Are you supposed to be Lavagirl?" Catalina questioned, taking in her hideous suit and pink hair. It looked matted and I realized it was the same brand of colored hair spray Catalina sometimes used.

That's when I spotted Zack approaching in the distance, his hair spiked up with a shark fin on his back. I lost it, falling to my knees, unable to breathe. I almost puked, tears welling in my eyes.

"I couldn't convince Kyle but I somehow convinced Chloe," Zack said, shooing Lucca away. "I think we look pretty fucking stunning if I do say so myself."

"You're the only one who's going to say that," Chloe deadpanned. She looked at Lucca, then me and Catalina. "At least we dressed up."

"Hey! We're covered in fake blood!" I exclaimed. "That counts."

Kyle jumped into the group. "You didn't even try. Look at me. I'm a zombie."

"You'll blend right in with the actors," I commented.

Lucca rolled his eyes. "Later, freaks. I'm off to go find my friends."

"He's too scared to go into the haunted houses," Chloe said.

Lucca gasped. "I am not!"

She smirked. "Sure."

Lucca scoffed, shaking his head as he walked straight towards a horde of zombies. A hysterical scream cut through the air when one lunged at him, which obviously attracted the rest of them until they had circled him. Lucca started crying, and one took pity, letting him run off into the night.

Luna found us at the entrance to the first fright attraction, wearing a plain white hoodie.

"Boring," Chloe commented.

The first haunted house had our group sitting together on a hayride, straw digging into our legs. We were going through a junkyard, able to make out a few rides from the water park section that was closed for the rest of the year through the piles of wrecked cars.

I looked over at Cat just before fire shot up out of an empty bus we were passing. A group of hillbillies with revving chainsaws came out from the woods, chasing after us. Kyle leapt back and fell onto Zack when one jumped onto the trailer, sending all of us edging to the other side of the trailer.

One started banging on the side of the truck, making the driver pull to a stop. The hillbillies kept screaming at us until Kyle broke down sobbing. Satisfied, we were finally allowed to continue on the remainder of the ride while Zack and Luna attempted to comfort him.