Chapter Thirty Five

Nic

Ghost checked Google Maps for the fifteenth time before opening a portal for us to step into the middle of Sidestep's base, which happened to be an empty hallway with a dirty window illuminated by moonlight. I felt my powers instantly evaporate and shot a look at Chloe.

"Like I said, it's too hard to be selective," Chloe grumbled. "Does anybody here know how to fight without using their powers?"

Everybody but Glacier and Kyle raised their hands. They quickly did when they realized everybody was staring. My glare bore into the back of her head, but Glacier just laughed nervously and avoided my eyes.

I taught you how to fight while in between breaks of Just Dance and you can't even remember? Bullshit.

Shrugging off my annoyance, I took a deep breath and glanced around. Something felt off about the entire situation. Sidestep wasn't innocent by far, but she wasn't a monster. Blazing, on the other hand, I didn't trust as far as I could throw. And where did Polar fit? Were they really capable of organizing a movement that wanted to eradicate supers?

It didn't seem like it was out of the realm of possibility, especially after burning down TVAH, but there was a piece of the puzzle missing. Following Ghost's theory felt like shoving a random piece from a different set in just to make it work.

Blazing Sun appeared first as she rounded the corner, stopping short at the sight of Kyle's pale face.

"H--hey?" She stumbled, eyes passing over the rest of us. Her eyebrows furrowed, expression somehow softer that usual. "What the...Why are you here?"

Kyle didn't hesitate. He punched her in the face and kneed her in the stomach before flipping her over his shoulder.

I guess Kyle drinks milk.

Side note to Cat, do I need to edit that out? Isn't his dad, like, Satan or something? Is he going to torture me for making fun of his son? Or was it his mom?

Cat?

Catalina???

Ice Cube?

Fine. It's been two hours, I'm not waiting for you anymore.

Blazing caught Kyle's leg and yanked him down to the ground, then trapped him in a headlock. Ghost and Riptide ran forward to help but Kyle held up a palm. They stepped back with a confused glance towards each other.

"What the fuck, Kyle?" she hissed out. "SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK?!"

"You're...in a...cult," Kyle choked out.

"What are you even talking about?!"

Our attention snapped away from the sibling scuffle to Sidestep as she appeared directly in front of us. She kicked Ghost square in the chest, sending the smaller girl flying back with a shriek. There was a span of a single breath before Sidestep had her face smashed against the floor, foot pressing down on her skull.

Riptide help his hand up, then stopped as Ghost growled out, "Back off, Riptide."

"No chance," he shot back, blasting Sidestep away. He hurriedly helped Ghost up and tucked his shoulder under her arm. "Are you okay?"

I shot a glare at Chloe, who in turn flipped me off. "Shut up, Inferno. Let him have that one."

"Picking and choosing favorites, huh?"

Sidestep spit a mouthful of water out and threw her hair out of her face. Polar emerged from the shadows, blocking her as she went to attack. "Why are you all back here? Shooting me wasn't enough?"