Chapter Twenty Nine

Catalina

I watched the clip at least eight times, at a complete loss for words, still unsure if what I was watching was even real.

Inferno really quit TVAH.

What the fuck had happened?

"It's crazy, huh?" my mom asked as she finished packing her lunch. I furrowed my eyebrows and stared at her. "At least all this crazy Saviors stuff is finally over."

It's not really, is it?

It's what the public thought, sure. But was it actually over? The Saviors died in that explosion, but we never found out who the leader was or how they were connected to Polar and Blazing or Sidestep.

We found out so much, and it was all for nothing. It can't be over just like that. It doesn't make sense.

"I'm sure some new supervillain group will pop up soon," I commented before shoveling more cereal into my mouth. "They always do."

My mom laughed and kissed the top of my head, ruffling my hair when she pulled away. "They always do." She sighed. "Damn, kid. I'm so glad you never developed any abilities. We'd need to move or something and we still can't afford to. Or maybe we could've gotten you on those power dampening pills that my friend on Facebook was telling me about. She said they were super expensive..."

I stopped listening, trying not to laugh at how glad she sounded.

Really, Mom? I'm not a super? How fucking stupid are you?

I don't know why, but it made me angry. Why couldn't she piece it together? She never paid much attention, but wasn't it obvious? Was I that easy to ignore?

I closed my eyes and sighed.

No, Cat. She's never home, how would she ever notice? The only times she is are when she's getting ready for work or sleeping between shifts. She'd only know if you told her, and you don't communicate.

I stared down at the ground for a moment, bitterness rising in my chest. "Bye, Mom. Love you."

"Love you too! I'll see you for dinner if you aren't busy with your friends."

I gave a smile and watched her leave, locking the door behind her.

My phone started buzzing as soon as her car pulled out of the driveway. I paused my show and stared at Chloe's number in disdain before picking up.

"Catalina's Crematorium. You stake 'em, we bake 'em."

What? I didn't have a choice. It was Chloe, after all.

"What the f...I need you to snoop on Cyanide for me."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because I told you to. You know where their base is set up, and it's not like they were smart enough to move it. Before I...I just need to figure some things out about Dark Skies, okay? There has to be a few things there that will give me some sort of clue."

I narrowed my eyes. "Dark Skies isn't-"

"Just go, Catalina!"

"Fine!" I snapped, tossing my phone aside. "Act like I'm your personal assistant, bitch."

"I can hear you!"

I gasped and jumped over the couch, fumbling with my phone for a moment before hanging up.

"Damnit," I muttered, heading up to my room. I glanced at the piles of homework on my desk before I left, deciding to save Kyle from this one.

An hour later, pebbles and sand were churning under my feet as the nasty, salty, and muddy smell of the river hit my nose. The warehouse looked empty enough when I peaked through the window, and that stupid fucking tree was standing behind me all ominously.