Chapter Nine

__••__

Years Ago

Jenna heaved a heavy sigh of frustration as she felt her car come to a stop on the side of the highway. She had noticed earlier that the car was threatening to stop and had decided to drive on the side of the road and just as she has suspected that it would, it did.

"Why now? I have an important meeting to attend in two hours, ugh!" She grunted and banged her hand on the steering wheel angrily then stepped out of the car. "God, what do I do now?"

She took off her suit jacket, tossed it inside the car and opened the trunk of the car from inside before walking over to it and checked for any faults in the arrays of wires and mechanical parts.

"Oh, no," she said as she tugged onto a burnt cord close to the car's battery. "It's going to take a few days to get this fixed and there are no taxis around to get me to the meeting."

Jenna crossed her arms and kicked the tyre of the car softly before leaning on the vehicle. She bit down on her bottom lip and stared at the passing cars in agony. She stood straight and walked back to the engine of the car to glare at it.

"This is the devil's doing," she seethed and out of the corner of her eyes, she saw a car pulling up, which made her roll her brown eyes until the door was opened and all she could see was the masculine back of a tall man until he turned around.

She took him in, from his expensive shoe covered feet, his jeans cladded fit thighs, his muscled upper body and tan face, his brown hair was a ruffled mass on top of his head, leaving some over his forehead. His lips were slightly full and parted, his nose a perfect point that coined perfectly with his sharp jawline and his light brown eyes underneath his bushy yet straight brows.

"Hi," he said and drew closer to her while she could only cross her arms and stare at him in annoyance.

"What do you want?" She asked sharply and noticed how he shifted his gaze from her face to her car. "Yeah, I don't need any help from you or anyone. You can run along now."

Jenna remembered the few movies she had watched and books she had read where strangers offered to fix a broken car of a man or woman. The next ordeal, did not always end well for the car owners, from what she had read and seen.

He chuckled and ran his long and thick fingers through his hair and stood beside her. His posture had her raise a suspicious brow at him.

"You look like you're in a hurry and I'm here to help you, Miss," he stated in an almost irritated tone and Jenna scoffed, brushed past him to her car to grab her bag then pulled out her phone.

"I'll just call someone I actually know or an Uber, other than take help from a stranger," she replied and dialed a number on her phone.

They both stood quietly as Jenna dialed the number, and while she looked hopefully across the busy street, he stood patiently with a pointed look on his face. After the call was not accepted, Jenna crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

"How am I sure that after this, you wouldn't ask for my number or try to seduce me. Or worse, harm me." Her eyes darkened from its narrowed state and the man burst into a short laugh.

"I'm sorry for that laugh. You see, I'm not a weirdo or anything besides, I already have someone who satisfies me enough for me not to look at another woman," he retorted and walked over to the car engine, looked at it then shook his head.