Chapter Twenty

__••__

A silent and blank faced Harriet, stared at Jonathan's back as they stood in the center of his bedroom. She kept her saddened eyes on him while playing with her fingers, and swallowed occasionally when she saw how his back and shoulders moved up and down in heated anger. She blinked when it seemed like tears were about to fall down her cheeks before she sighed and walked over to the man looking out the room window.

"I'm really sorry that she turned out like this," she said and stood beside him. "Jenna has always been the kind of child who never joked with what belongs to her. At first when she was little, we thought maybe it was an ordinary tantrum but, as she grew, it turned into something else."

Harriet bowed her head when Jonathan glanced at her then returned his gaze out the window. She cleared her throat, contemplating on telling him more about the woman he had married.

"We've never said this to anyone but when Jenna was sixteen, she had this boy she really liked in her class. When she stared dating him, though we were against it but we got over it soon when we saw that she was happy with him. Soon enough, she found out that he had cheated on her with another classmate. That was when it all started.

"Jenna wasn't over the fact that he cheated and even he wanted to breakup at that time. She made it clear to us a lot that she was not going to let him go, she was being too possessive and bratty. She monitored him, knew everything he did and it got to the point that Jenna started threatening the girl he was dating, even almost running her over but failed. The girl moved away after-" she paused to exhale then realized that Jonathan now had his full attention on her.

His darkened brown eyes that held nothing but anger were trained on her face, waiting patiently for what she was about to say.

She sighed. "My husband and I paid her family to move away just to satisfy Jenna's demand. Well, she demanded that we do that. She was our only child, so we didn't want to hurt her and decided to give in to her demands every time. So, the girl went away and Jenna was happy but the boy wasn't. Jenna forced him to get back with her, which he did after sometime but later moved on with another girl.

"Jenna went into another fit that caused her to actually harm herself, she became sort of suicidal, and when the boy knew about it, he said it was her fault and that the girl he was with was far more better," the woman covered her face as she began to cry softly. She felt Jonathan's hand on her shoulder but shrugged it off. Ignoring the dry snort from the man by her side.

"We found out that Jenna ended up sending thugs to the girl, beat her up and almost killed her. Of course, the boy knew that she was responsible and threatened to call the authorities but we did otherwise. We actually used his parents to blackmail him which made him drop everything he had against us. We moved away from London and came here to New York," she narrated and Jonathan shook his head in disbelief then backed away, running his fingers through his hair. He muttered a few incohorent words, mixing them up with a dry chuckle.

Harriet wiped her cheeks hurriedly and walked over to him. She wrapped her arms around her body and folded her lips inward, trying to hold back the bout of cry that was threatening to let lose.

"We thought everything had stopped but Jenna started behaving odd. We had to force her to see a psychiatrist who later told us that Jenna was diagnosed with BPD," she stated.

"Borderline Personality Disorder?" Jonathan said, blinking rapidly and looking around the expanse of the room. "That explains her irritability and lack of trust in our relationship, when it comes to other women, including the way she feels so insecure. For a moment, I thought it was just harmless jealousy. But..." He rubbed his face. "Oh, God."