Chapter Fifteen

__••__

"That can't be true," Jonathan shook his head as he glared at the two police officers standing in his office. "My wife cannot do such a thing."

One sighed. "Sir, we cannot just walk into your office and spew lies or some misinformation. There are evidences that points to the fact that your wife is responsible for the death of nurse Linda."

"And may I see these evidences?"

The other officer raised his hand that held a file and dumped it on Jonathan's wooden desk. The man picked it up and flipped through the file with a blank expression on his face before it changed to shock.

"The finger prints on the glass and the corpse matches hers, Mr. Hanks. We do not know why she did it but we need to find her before she escapes," the cop said grimly.

Jonathan stood up from his seat and paced around the room, while going through the file all over again.

"It can't be possible. No, I don't want to believe this," he said, already nervous from what he had read and heard.

"Mr. Hanks, you have to help us find her to investigate this matter," the one who had given the file mentioned with an impatient look on his face.

"Do you know where she is?"

Jonathan frowned. "I was with her this morning before I left for work. So, I'm not sure of where she is at the moment. But, please don't arrest her. I'm sure my wife is innocent. She can't even harm a fly."

"We'll know about that but in the meantime, we have to stand guard outside of your house and company. We cannot afford to have a criminal on the run," one said grimly, and made his way to the door.

"The main question is; what would make your wife that you labelled as innocent kill someone?" The other demanded and left the office with his colleague, leaving Jonathan alone with his thoughts.

"Jenna, what's going on with you?" He asked himself and looked down at the file. "Why would you do this to yourself and—Wait, did she? No, no. Jenna isn't doing this because of the cheating issue, is she? What have I done?"

The door opened and his secretary walked in with a huge file within her grasp. She noticed his distressed demeanor and tilted her head, her brown locks moving to her movement.

"Sir?"

He flinched. "Oh, sorry. Yes, Madeline?"

"Are you okay, sir?" The short brunette asked and he nodded.

"Yes, I am. What is it?" He walked to the desk and dropped the file from the police officers.

"Ok. I wanted to remind you about the masquerade ball and that the guest list is full. Refreshments and etcetera has been taken care of. Do I check up on your suit?" She asked while going through the file resting on her arm.

Jonathan nodded absently. "Yes." He muttered, still fully distracted by the news occupying his mind.

"Huh?"

"I mean, please get my suit and do the remaining things," Jonathan said and rubbed his face. "I'm sorry, I'm just stressed and all."

Madeline nodded. "Okay, I'll do just that."

Jonathan kept his eyes on the worried woman as she left the office then kept his gaze on his office window.

__••__

"Answer that call," Jenna said from her position on the bed as Gloria's phone rang out loud. "And who's calling?"

Gloria shrugged and walked cautiously to her bedside table and picked up her phone. She swallowed then showed Jenna the screen, it was a call from her husband.