•n i n e•

•c h a p t e r-n i n e•

Is this how it felt?

To wait, to hope. Is this how he felt?

I hated it. The burning anxiety that caused pain to my heart, my lungs. It cut off my breathing supply, instead making my lungs inflame.

"You should get some rest, Queen."

I sigh, running a hand through my messy hair. "How're the village people? Felix informed me that word got around that the King had fallen."

Desa takes a step into the infirmary room, her eyes flicking over to the lifeless statue on the less than comfortable bed.

She hesitates, her teeth coming down to grab onto her bottom lip.

I wave my hand in an ushering motion, my eyebrows raising. "Well?"

She sighs, "They're worried. Things have been...off. Those who'd like to rebel and those who believe you aren't fit to rule without Lord Hades."

I shift in my seat, my hands clenching into fists as my palms begin to sweat. "Rebel? What do you mean?"

Her face contorts with uncertainty, hands wringing in front of her.

"Well...those who feel they're strong enough for the position have been threatening the elders of the village. Felix and the guard men have attempted to calm it down and it was working, but they've begun to grow more antsy the longer it takes."

I close my eyes, running a hand down my face.

He just needed to heal. He'd heal. I've been waiting and he'll heal.

I had to be strong for us. For my people.

"Desa, I want you to gather the people in the main hall."

She glances up at me in surprise, "What?"

I stand, clearing my throat. "Gather the people. I need to speak with all of them."

She walks towards me slowly, cautiously. "Are you sure? I-I don't think that's safe. There's a reason there has been more security detail than usual and plus you've been stressing a lot."

"I've been showing how weak I can be. Not how strong I can be. I'm a Queen, Desa...and just because the King isn't available, it doesn't mean I've lost power. I've gained some."

She pauses in her steps, her eyes traveling over my face before a slight smile takes over her lips. "I'll send word when they're gathered, then." She bows before leaving the room, the door closing quietly behind her.

I stare at the white door for a while longer, my heart thumping in my chest before I glance over at the body on the bed.

My heart clenches, palpitating as they fall on his face.