• s e v e n t e e n•

          I stumble my way to the door, catching sight of my fathers silhouette creeping away out of the corner of my eye

In my drunken state, the fear I would've easily felt by now had vanished and was replaced with curiosity.

"Dad? Where are you going?" I slump onto the elevator doors, waiting for a ping before clumsily running towards the complex entrance.

He walks out, turning a slight corner before disappearing.

I stumble after him, sobering up a little as I bask in my confusion.

I must've been seeing things.

"Sammy..."

I whip my head towards the right, seeing him wave at me.

Or not.

"Hey! Dad, wait!" Jogging down the street, I attempt to catch up to him. But it was like a dream...

The closer I thought I had become, the further he truly was. It was as if I was running through quicksand, but also on pavement.

"Slow down!" I huff, placing my hands on my knees as I pause to take a quick breath before following.

Roughly twenty minutes later, playing a game of cat and mouse, I begin to recognize the street I was on.

Chalk lined the sidewalks, remnants of hopscotch and amateurish drawing taking their respectful place on the cobbled ground.

I chuckle lightly to myself, reminiscing on a time where everything was simpler.

I glance up, noticing that my father had stopped in front of my old home. I was a bit sober now, but not enough to decipher what was occurring at the moment.