November 8th

Michelle

Michelle

Scanning the clean kitchen, Michelle Taylor sighed, she was exhausted and just as glad Rob wasn't home for the night. She would take a book in the tub and soak until the water turned cold. She liked to escape in a good story when she wasn't reading she watched Hallmark movies. Rob made fun of them so she learned to watch when he wasn't home. He would walk into the room and make comments. "They need to save the factory," or "Here comes the first love". Michelle liked happily ever after, even though she wasn't delusional enough to think it existed in real life. The ever after was real, but the always happy was fiction.

After twenty-three years, her marriage was as tepid as her bath water. She didn't even remember the girl who was once head over heels. She didn't look like her either. She sighed as she scanned her naked body. The stretch marks were her badge of honor from two pregnancies. The extra five pounds were part of the five to fifteen she battled at any given time. Most of the time, she hid it well with the right clothes, especially since her closet held various sizes.

The only time she couldn't hide it was during sex, but it was typically once a week, unless she had her period. More often than not, she viewed their Saturday nights as a chore which typically left her feeling unsatisfied. Obviously, certain things change with age, but the bigger problem was a lack of closeness between her and Rob. Because they were often just going through the mechanics, Michelle longed for more and wasn't certain how to capture it. She knew that childbirth and age had left her anything but tight. Hell, she had trouble keeping a tampon in, especially when she sneezed.

Rob hadn't aged like Michelle, and he was still fit and attractive. If only he could leave Michelle feeling fulfilled, because lately she had better luck satisfying herself.

The water had turned cold, and as she stepped out, she glanced at herself in the mirror before wrapping the thick terry towel around her. It was no surprise things had cooled between them. She didn't look like the girl her husband had fallen in love with.

The first time she saw him, she thought he was extremely handsome. When he spoke to her, he was kind. She was visiting her boyfriend, Chris at his college. It was a two-hour bus ride, but when she arrived at his dorm, he wasn't there. They had been dating since high school and were college juniors.

Robert was the resident assistant, and it was his job as RA to tell her she couldn't enter past the desk without a student to sign her in. Without Chris, she couldn't get into his room, so she was stuck. They couldn't afford cell phones, or she would call Chris. Instead, she shifted her feet nervously, wondering how long she'd have to wait.

Robert took pity on her and left a work-study student to cover the front desk and signed her in as his guest. He let her accompany him, as he made his rounds. He was on duty and it was a busy Friday night. Along the way, he introduced himself as Rob and she as Chellie.

"Do you know Chris?"

"Yeah, a little. I thought he was a nice guy, but standing up a girl like you. I'm not so sure."