December 30th

Michelle

She woke with Rob's arm draped across her. It was odd because he was sleeping later. She wondered if he struggled to fall asleep. He was relaxed given their situation. She suspected he was relieved to be done with his job. He was officially done. They would pay out his four weeks, but they didn't want him back. He received a phone call from someone who had worked directly below him. He had inherited the mess Rob left. She could tell Rob felt bad but didn't have any regrets. The only thing he needed to do when they got back was to go collect a box of his personal items and return his laptop.

The Curriers invited them for dinner. Rob had thought they would want to meet with him in the office, but Jim insisted they come to the house for dinner. Michelle still wasn't certain but knew the dinner might help her decide, since she didn't know any of the Curriers. She had never even met Jim's new wife and was nervous. Rob suggested she wear the dress she wore to the French restaurant.

"It won't distract you?"

He laughed. They went two days without sex after their world turned upside down. When they made love the night before it was as if they were each comforting the other.

"If we need a new house, we need to find one with the master away from the other bedrooms. You're too loud."

There was a certain excitement about a new house. In fact, she had been looking at the real estate market online. She had also looked at the jobs and she would need to find a safer job. Was she completely embracing a new life? Not exactly, but the past week and a half had been diametric to their life before. Maine was the reason for the change in their marriage.

Rob continued to be no help, and although he would listen to her, he would not commit to an opinion of his own. He was adamant they did not mention his unemployed status to the Curriers. He repeated it again as they walked over. Michelle was excited if for no other reason, she secretly wanted to see inside the Currier's house.

It was beautiful, warm and inviting. Jim greeted them at the door with a friendly chocolate lab. She was underfoot just long enough to get the attention of a pat from both of them and then she ran upstairs. Michelle's ears perked up to the sound of a crying baby up the stairs. The woman who appeared in the doorway drew her attention. She looked almost as young as Michelle. She didn't know Jim had married a younger woman. He looked handsome and fit for his age.

"Pat honey, meet Rob and Michelle."

"Welcome, please sit down. What can I get you to drink? We have absolutely everything. We had a house full for Christmas, so the drinks were flowing."

"Maybe just a glass of wine." When Pat probed, she added. "Red."

Jim said, "Dan will have a beer and I'll have wine."

Rob agreed to a beer. Jim disappeared with his wife and Rob took Michelle's hand and squeezed it. She looked around and loved the cottage decor. It was comfortable. Before they returned with their drinks, a younger version of Jim descended the stairs carrying an infant dressed in pink. The dog followed close behind.

He greeted them warmly. "Welcome, I'm Dan, and this is Cecelia. I assume you met Hershey. She would have checked you out to make sure you were safe to be near the baby. She thinks she's Cecelia protector. I thought it was my job."

Rob smiled. "I have that job, but my little girl doesn't wear pink anymore."

"How old is she?"

"Twenty," Michelle said.

"Oh, I don't want to think about it!" Dan held his daughter tighter.

"Think about what?" A voice came from up the stairs.