December 16th

Rob

Rob woke early. He hadn't slept well in days. Michelle had refused to listen to him, so he hadn't been able to explain himself. He also couldn't forget her words - pathetic marriage. He'd be delusional to think their marriage was perfect, but it wasn't pathetic.

There were so many reasons he hated her job. The biggest was because it was potentially dangerous. She involved herself in the family life of criminals and addicts. She traveled alone to the worst neighborhoods - there were more home visits to seedy apartments than five-hundred-thousand dollar colonials.

Aside from her safety, the horrors of her job were taking a toll on her. She took every case to heart. Since she started the job, she developed high blood pressure and was on medicine. She was beautiful regardless of her weight, but the up and down swings couldn't be healthy. Currently, it was down and she looked too thin.

He knew the job saved her when Lily left, but she was qualified to do other jobs. She could work at a nonprofit for high risk kids. She could work for a school district. Rob had googled different jobs within her field to see what else was available. He knew she'd be pissed and say he was controlling her career like he does his department. There was a huge difference, because he loved her. She and the kids were everything to him. If the company fell off the face of the earth, he would survive, but he could never survive losing Michelle and he was afraid he was on the verge of doing just that.

When she joined him in the kitchen, she was in a cheery mood. They were both officially on vacation until after the New Year. He felt the tension ease, as he drove home the night before. Short of unexpected fires his work was in good shape and the company would survive his absence.

He smiled at her and wished her good morning. "Let me know how I can help today. I'm at your beck and call. I have some shopping so let me know if you need anything."

She smiled her perfect smile he missed. "You don't shop and I thought we agreed no gifts, since neither of us need anything."

"I shop occasionally and how do you know I'm buying a Christmas gift? You're assuming things."

"Whatever just don't expect a gift in return." He ignored her, because she always gave him something even when they agreed no gifts.

"Fine. Do you think I need a haircut?"

He froze when she reached up to check the length of his hair along his shirt collar. Her fingers brushed his neck. With their minimal contact, her fingertips sent shock waves through his body. He reached up to grasp her hand. Desperate to close the canyon between them he pulled her into an embrace. She willingly let him hold her, as he kissed the top of her head.

"I love you, Chell." Pushing his luck, he asked, "How long is your to-do list?"

She pulled away. "Too long."

Feeling disappointed, he recovered. "Raincheck then. Now what's on your list for today?"

"Baking, wrapping. You interested?"

"Anything else?" He was a failure at both those tasks and she knew it.

"Laundry?"

"Laundry, I can do."

Perhaps not as good as Chellie, but he could even manage folding. He learned years ago the don'ts - don't put bras in the dryer, don't mix colors, don't do anything with a sweater without asking first. There was a time when she used to wear lacy bras, but life had changed. Now the only lacy bras in the house belonged to his daughter, and he mourned his little girl every time he came across one. Chellie wasn't the only one struggling with their kids all grown up.