November 29th

A/N This story is set before The Players

Robert

Robert Taylor was exhausted. He felt like the past five days had negated his four-day weekend for Thanksgiving. Not only were they in the middle of open enrollment for all employee benefits from health insurance to flexible spending accounts, but the executive team was finalizing the budget for the next fiscal year. For him, it would determine the percent of increase they would offer all their hard-working employees, as part of their annual performance evaluations. The actual evaluations would take place after the first of the year, but his responsibly was to make sure all the managers had the tools necessary to perform their task.

None of it was new, it was his business and had been to some extent since he graduated twenty-five years before. His first job was in the benefits department at a financial firm in town. His responsibilities were limited to being the liaison between the firm and the insurance companies they worked with, but he learned a lot. He made a move within the company to become more involved with the personel aspect of the job including the hiring, firing, and compliance with laws. With his experience, he moved to a smaller company to a position requiring a whole range of duties. Two companies later and he had more responsibility than he ever imagined, but none of it came without a price.

The cost of his career success was to his family, especially Chellie. He smiled remembering the first day he laid eyes on her. She was the most beautiful girl in the world and she had absolutely no idea how beautiful she was. As she followed him on his rounds, she had helped at least three students. Each act was small such as holding a door or picking up a book which overfilled arms dropped, but the most memorable was when they came across a freshman girl in tears. He couldn't ignore her. As he approached, it was Chellie who asked if she was all right and talked her through her homesickness. Rob remembered just standing there dumbfounded by how quickly the girl went from tears to laughter, because of the beautiful girl with the shiny brown mane and green eyes each with a golden ring around the emerald color.

The night he saw her across the room at his office holiday party, he thought he was dreaming. He hadn't seen her since the Christmas dance the year before when she looked incredible in the same emerald dress. After she and Chris broke up. Rob had resigned himself to never seeing her again. To see her looking exactly as he remembered was a dream come true. He was determined get her last name and number before the evening was over. He succeeded on both accounts and even better, a kiss - an amazing kiss.

Entering the kitchen through the garage, the house was quiet. He knew she was home, because he had just parked his car beside hers. Nothing was cooking which wasn't unusual for a Friday night. They would often go out for a bite or get takeout. Usually, she would text him to pick up the food on his way home and he looked at his phone to confirm he hadn't missed a message. They hardly talked all week - just a word or two before saying goodnight. He often worked late and she would already be in bed when he came home.