Three

"Just a rumor.." Richie stared out the window; the teachers monotone voice going through one ear and out the other. He sighed resting his head on the desk. An aching throb bloomed in his temple. Richie leaned up resting his chin on his folded arms. His eyes flickered to the clock a nervous fidget erupting over his skin. The bell would ring any second and he would finally be free. "Oh thank god." Mr. Welch or as the kids referred to him Mr. Belch continued to babble on, his speech blurring together as Richie lost all focus and interest in the man.

The alarming screech of the final bell rang above them. Richie snagged his bag and leaped over his desk trudging out the door.
Mr. Belch's offended voice struck out, "The bell does not dismiss you! I do!"

Richie sneered over his shoulder at the older man.
"Oh kiss my ass." He remarked, racing out into the hallway backpack swung halfway over his shoulder. Richie shuffled between the sea of people finding a dip in the hall and waiting there until it all cleared out. He waited there, head leaned back against the cool stone bricks his pounding head beginning to succumb.

"I'm telling you! There's no way Captain America's shield could survive a lightsaber, it would melt to shit."
Richie blinked tilting his head to the side. The shrill, all knowing voice of Eddie Kaspbrak infiltrating his ears. He pulled his backpack up slowly walking out of the dip in the hallway and there he was. Arguing with another boy who watched on amusingly.

They made brief eye contact, just for a second and Richie turned away. He made a dash for the exit feeling a fire spread across his face. He had seen so many vulnerable sides of Eddie just barely knowing the guy and seeing him out and about at school seemed unnatural.

Richie stopped in his tracks his mouth running dry as that demanding voice called out.
"Hey Tozier! Get back here,"
He couldn't escape. He spun around awkwardly shoving his hands in his pockets with a shy grin.

Eddie looked at him with a stern face before breaking out in the tiniest grin of his own. "Hey.. Long time no see Eddie." Richie responded as the two got closer standing across from each other now. Richie looked at the other guy trying to recognize where he'd seen him before. He extended a hand, "I'm Richie." The other guy shrugged off his gesture.

"I know who you are." He responded curtly making Richie want to recoil into himself. A chill ran over his spine his eyes shifted to the ground. What did he know? He felt disgusting.

Eddie smacked the boy in the chest. "Fuck off Stan, don't be rude." He warned Stan who rolled his eyes and gave Richie a once over scoffing quietly and turning his attention elsewhere.
"I'm gonna go wait in the library, you and Trashmouth can catch up." Stan took off on a brisk power walk, excited to be leaving 'Trashmouth's' clearly unwanted presence.

Eddie placed a gentle hand on Richies shoulder,
"I'm sorry about him Richie. He believes everything he hears." He explained then immediately wanted to take the words back seeing Richies face explode with anxiety.

A lump got caught in his throat. People were talking about him? He felt a nervous sweat break out.
"What's he hearing?" Richie asked insecurely.

Eddie shook his head and gripped Richies arm, "Nothing." He said quickly  and offered a smile. "Want to walk around?" He didn't wait for an answer and started dragging Richie with him.
Richie just nodded scared if he spoke he would let all his insecurities pour out on the poor boy. Eddie took him along, walking slowly through the barren halls. Richie watched his mouth move but couldn't hear his words. What were they saying about him? Did they know?