Fifteen

Standing outside the Denbrough home made something finally click in Richie.
A 'This is all really happening' Kind of feeling. The months past events had felt like a freaky nightmare he wasn't waking up from but now that he was standing in their perfectly mowed lawn it hit him.
Richies legs felt stuck to the spot as he gawked at the house. The reality of it all making it hard for Richie to comprehend.

The door swung open and Bill came tumbling after.
"R-Richie!" He shouted and Richies face split into a grin at the sight of him. Bill was running and nearly tripped over his own feet making Richie laugh while Bill wrapped his arms around Richies neck squeezing him tight.

"Hey to you too Bill." Richie squeaked out and Bill released him, his hands lingered holding Richie loosely at an arms length. Richie looked up at the house seeing Mrs. Denbrough watching the two from behind the screen door. Richie looped an arm around Bill's shoulders walking them toward the Denbrough home with a newfound confidence.
"W-when my dad told m-m-me about you s-staying with us." Bill began excitedly.

Richie snorted and quickly jumped in.
"Leap for joy?" He batted his eyelashes and Bill laughed climbing up the porch stairs he nearly fell over in his haste to get to Richie.

"No I p-put padlocks on a-a-all the doors." Bill fired back teasingly and the two erupted in a fit of laughter as they entered the house Richie had been so afraid of before. It was warm and smelled like maple and cinnamon.
His eyes fell on Mr. and Mrs. Denbrough who were speaking softly among themselves. Mr. Denbrough spotted them and whipped on a smile turning to Bill.
"Bill why don't you show Richie where he'll be staying?" Mr. Denbrough suggested and Bill grinned snaking his hand round Richies wrist.

Bill dragged him through the house running upstairs pulling Richie eagerly behind. Richie stared at the family photos lining the walls all mixed in a blur. His heart swelled hoping one day his picture could litter the Denbrough's home.
Bill stopped outside a door and cracked it open, "There isn't a w-w-whole lot but you k-know.." Bill said scratching the back of his neck as Richie slowly entered the room his mouth hung open.

The walls were painted a light grey, neutral grounding and they had a few posters put up. Richie shot Bill a glance all the bands plastered on the walls had been the ones Richie screamed the lyrics to in their rides to and from school. He felt his heart swell at the sentiment and he attacked Bill in a hug, "Billy you tweehawt!" Richie slurred like Tweety Bird then ran and leaped onto the bed. He sighed and ran his hands over the sheets. "Oh indeed the finest silk for Richard Bartholomew Francis the third! Imported straight from the queens underwear drawer!" He guffawed in his British accent making Bill cackle madly.

Bill stood over Richie holding his hand out. "W-wanna go to my room?"
Richie hopped up using Bills outstretched hand to pull him to his feet.
Richie realized suddenly that he hadn't been in Bill's room but very briefly, once. He walked past the dreaded bathroom that brought back some painful memories. Richie walked into Bills room admiring the layout, he had a desk littered with art supplies and drawing all over the walls along with a couple of band posters.

"We can play g-guh-guess who." Bill suggested pulling the board game out from underneath his bed.
Richie laid down on the floor resting his head on his folded arms. Bill laid the boards in front of them and looked over the people deciding on who he was going to be for the round.
"You go f-first." Bill offered leaning backward against his bed frame watching Richie curiously as he stared at his own board.

Richie snorted. "Are you Bart?" He accused immediately.
Bill's face lit up in surprise as he nodded slowly. "How did you know t-that?" He demanded leaning over to see if Richie had somehow cheated.
Richie laughed in response and pointed to the character, "He looks like Stanley I was just messing around!" He said honestly making Bill begin to laugh along with him.

The rest of the evening went by quickly as they played various board games and talked about nothing.
They hadn't even noticed it getting dark outside then Bills mom was yelling from downstairs, "Boys! Wash up and come down for dinner!" Bill turned to look at his clock.
"Time flies when you're havin' fun Billy." Richie got to his feet stretching his arms over his head and yawning.

They stormed down the stairs shoving each other to get to the table first the aromatic smell of pizza spurring them on even farther.
Richie came out on top tumbling into the kitchen, "Thank you for dinner." He smiles cracking open the pizza box snagging two slices of pepperoni. Bill came tumbling after thanking his parents and shoveling a slice of plain old cheese in his mouth.

Mrs. Denbrough watched them fondly.
"What have you boys been up to? Sounded like you were having a lot of fun." She mused happily.
Mr. Denbrough nodded and slid some pepperoni on his plate.

Richie looked up from his now empty plate he always ate quickly.
"Just messing around.. Played a couple board games." He explained and reached for another slide of pizza.
Mr. Denbrough watched astonished.
"We got another growing boy on our hands now Sharon! We're going to need more 'za!" He chuckled as both Richie and Bill got seconds eating quickly like it would disappear if they didn't scarf it down.

Mrs. Denbrough just smiled and lightly hit Mr. Denbroughs arm then rubbed it gently. Richie watched feeling slightly unnerved at the affection, his eyes flicked to Bill who sat with a content grin on his face.
Richie wasn't used to seeing parents really care or being affectionate towards each other.

"Richie? You r-ready to head upstairs?" Richie hummed in response not realizing he'd zoned out.
He and Bill took care of their plates then went upstairs to get ready for bed. Richie was curled up under his covers Bill laying at the end of his bed comics in both of their hands. A soft knock on the door alerted them, Mrs. Denbrough swung the door open. She watched the pair fondly for a moment before finding the words she was at a loss for.

"Bill? We should leave Richie to get settled in on his own, give him some space boy." Mrs. Denbrough whispered sweetly and lead Bill down the hall to his own bedroom.
Richie watched him retreat sadly but decided like Mrs. Denbrough had said it was probably for the best he got used to things.

Richie laid awake in bed staring at the ceiling. His mind was racing no matter how he twisted and turned Richie couldn't find a comfortable sleeping position. Then his mind started playing tricks on him with the shadows on the wall.
Richie broke out in a cold sweat, he was never afraid of the dark before. He pulled the covers over his head and clamped his eyes shut hoping the safety of his blanket would keep the shadow monsters from attacking. Eventually the blanket became insufferable and he had to come up for air. As he did so Richie leapt our of bed and bolted to Bills room walking in slowly as he reached the door. He peeked in checking if Bill was sleeping.

Bill sat at his desk scribbling away at something. Richie snuck up behind him and eyed the paper through blurry eyes, he forgot to grab his glasses on the way out. He could make out the shape of a boys head and some curly hair but that was about it. "Bill?" Richie whispered making Bill jump out of his skin.
He scrambled to hide the paper and Richie shifted feeling suddenly like he'd intruded on something private.

"R-Richie! Yeah? Why aren't you in b-bed?" Bill mumbled spinning around in his chair to face Richie.
"I can't sleep." Richie mumbled and Bill regarded him knowingly.

"Okay. W-wanna go watch s-some movies in the ba-a-asement." Richie nodded and Bill got up climbing the stairs slowly to the basement keeping his movements quiet as not to alert their parents.
Bill closed the door softly then made as much noise as he wanted the house was sound proof from the first floor down. They threw dusty blankets and pillows on the ground making a makeshift fort then popped in Godzilla.

Bill nudged Richie pointing to the mutant lizard on the screen. "L-Looks like you." He teased and Richie laughed and pointed to the lizards butt, "Looks like you." Richie fired back easily.

-

Richie Denbrough has a nice ring to it no cap