Fourteen

Richie brushed a comb through his hair wincing as the teeth pulled at his scalp. He was always a tender head.
Richie was stuck on a particularly bad knot, so bad tears had sprung to his eyes and he was beginning to lose hope.
Eddie caught Richies struggle reflection in the mirror and jumped into action.
"Stop pulling and let me help." Eddie placed his hand on top of Richies taking the comb from him.

Eddie bent over grabbing a spray bottle from the bathroom drawer. He spritzed some of the product in Richies hair and gently brushed the knot out. He then set to work on fixing the rest of Richies hair a calm determination painting his face.
Richie sighed heavily and wiped his hands down his face. "Thanks Eddie." He whined out. Moments like these Richie was especially grateful for Eddies careful hand. He was always great at this sort of stuff.

Eddie hummed his approval his hand snaking down Richie face. It stopped at his jaw, lifting his chin up to meet his reflection.
Richie stared at himself bewildered, his hair looked almost straight and all tidied up. It was a rollercoaster of emotions. "You look nice." Eddie complimented him kindly keeping his hand rested gently on his jaw. Eddie scooped down and connected their lips briefly, "Where are you going?" He squeaked out before reconnecting their lips in another kiss this one lasting a moment longer leaving the two red and breathless.

Richie smirked and wiped the spit off his bottom lip. "I'm going to the court to testify." He coughed cursing himself for killing the mood.
Eddies face sunk as the words passed his lips. He sucked in a breath and pulled on a false smile, "Everything's going to go alright.. We'll be alright." Eddie spoke assuredly but Richie couldn't tell who he was trying to reassure.

Richie placed his hand over top Eddies giving him a small squeeze. Eddie crumbled he sighed heavily.
"Do.. Do you know anything at least?" He asked quietly his brows knit worriedly.
Richie turned around wrapping Eddie in a hug finding it easier to speak when he didn't have to see his pained face.
He tucked his face into the crook of his neck breathing in his calming presence.
"I'm not leaving Derry, can't get rid of me that easily babe." Richie whispered softly his fingers toying with the curls at the nape of Eddies neck. "I'm talking to a judge.. Then I'll be staying with Billy boy for a week to see if I'll make a good fit with.. His family." Richie confessed and slowly pulled away to catch Eddies gaze.

Eddie stared back at him blankly before engulfing Richie in a bone crushing hug. "God! Rich! That's so great, you had me scared half to death." Eddie whined squeezing Richie tighter til he about went purple in the face.
Richie wheezed out a laugh and pulled away gasping for air, "Think I needa borrow your inhaler!" He coughed teasingly making Eddie chuckle.
Richie pulled Eddie into a more tender hug really embracing him seeking that comfort and stability he craved for.

Richie sighed heavily into the hug then stood up. "Wish me luck Ed's." He mumbled, in his heart he knew things would turn out fine but his brain was another thing. Constantly making him worry and it seemed impossible that he could ever have anything good. Richie felt the thoughts melt away as Eddie gripped his hand giving it a tender squeeze.
"You'll be okay. I know you will, Bill's families great Rich." Eddie stared up at him with those big puppy dog eyes and Richie felt assured.

He could do this.

Oh fuck, he could not do this.
Richie swallowed and took a seat in the open room. Sonia had just explained to him how his mother was going to be showing up to make her own statements and Richie was sick to his stomach. He wished Eddie was here.
Eddie would know how to comfort him.

Richies leg bounced anxiously under the table, his knee knocking against the wood paneling every once and awhile.
Bill's father was seated across from them. He looked very formal, tie and coat sort of getup. Richie looked down bashfully at his choice of clothing. Shark printed button up with one of Eddies baby blue bow ties. When did the room start spinning?
Richie gulped down some water and leaned back against the wooden seat.

"You must be Richie."
Richie looked up at the smiling face of Bill's old man. He'd never met him the countless times they've been over at Bills house but he seemed like the kind of, 'Come on sport, let's go play some ball in the yard!' Kind of guy.
Mr. Denbrough held his hand out, "Put 'er there Rich."

Richie shook his hand and forced a smile on his face.
This was one of the rare few times Richie had no clue what to say. Did he thank him? Richie shook his head and dropped the handshake.
The doors swung open and Richie caught sight of his mother. He wanted to disappear. Even now she didn't spare him a glance. He felt Sonia grip his hand under the table and he felt a wave of calm wash over him.

"Mrs. Tozier." The judge called out silencing any mingling conversation, beginning the start of the long awaited trial.

Maggie flashed a smile that didn't meet her eyes and chuckled.
"It's actually Mrs. Bates, I remarried."
Richie stared at the woman, gawking.
What the shit was going on? He felt straight out of a reality T.V show. Richie tugged on the shirts collar allowing some airflow to soothe his boiling skin, it was too hot.
"I feel like I'm gonna pass out." Richie mumbled weakly to himself reaching for his glass of water to find it empty.

"Well, Mrs. Bates." The lawyer continued and then thats when shit really hit the fan. There was arguing and people in suits writing down everything anyone said.
Richie stared at his empty glass of water his mouth feeling dyer than ever before, he could taste blood on his tongue.
Mr. Denbrough took note of Richies restlessness and offered Richie his glass of water, "You okay kid?" He asked calmly looking him over with worried eyes.

Richie took a gulp of the cold water and gasped.
"Yeah. It's just, really hot in here?" He breathed out then dove in for another swig. His eyes darted up as Maggie began yelling again.
"Listen, I was gone for a week! Plenty of parents do that, wouldn't you agree?" The woman was red in the face, even if she wasn't a Tozier anymore she still had the temper of one.

The lawyer stared at her like she was insane and added.
"No. I wouldn't."

Maggie groaned and wiped her hands down her face then sat down again.
"I left him some cash there was food in the fridge he was fine!" She argued.
"How was I supposed to know he would.. Run off and join the circus." Maggie added bitterly looking them over with a cold glare.

The judge cleared his throat agitatedly.
"I think we're done here. Mrs. Bates, Visitation rights will be negotiated." He sentenced and smacked his wooden gavel. Richie got flashbacks to judge Judy and snorted at the inappropriate time.

Maggie slammed her hands in the air and laughed dryly her eyes wide and bloodshot.
"Forget it. Fuck visitation." Richie felt the lump in his throat grow impossibly larger. The tears welled in his eyes threatened to spill.
Richie sunk impossible further into his seat and forced his mind to blank. He sniffed and watched painfully as two large policemen escorted the fuming woman out of the courtroom. The heavy doors slammed behind them and Richie shook his head.

"Richie, you have two options."
Richies eyes snapped back to the judge whose name he'd never learned. The man was old and with heavy wrinkled cheeks it reminded him of a pug.
"You can begin your trial week or take some time and stay with a friend to think things over."

Richie diverted his eyes from the judges pug like face and rested on Mr. Denbrough. The mans eyes twinkled and he wore an easy smile. Something that put Richies racing mind at ease. He returned the smile and looked back to the expectant judge.
"I think I'll stay with Mr. Denbrough."

-

I got no fuckin clue how court sessions work so this is probably super inaccurate but yEaH
This chapter sucked :^)
-