Twenty

Richie couldn't hold Eddies hand, not in public at least. All the same he loved him with a love that no one could understand. He didn't have to shove his relationship down his peers throats for Eddie to know Richie loved him. Richie did that perfectly fine behind closed doors.

The losers club stuck through with their loose promise of friendship made by leaping over a bonfire drunk off their asses. It was their senior year of high school and the gang was still going strong if not stronger than before.
Richie was officially a Denbrough and Bill treated him not like a stepbrother but flesh and blood. Richie still recalls the day Bill said to him, 'Family isn't always the one you're born with, it's the one you find along the way.' Except of course with a lot more stuttering involved, but the sentiment still resides within Richie.

Richies legs were sore. And his head hurt from the cheesy top 40's the school DJ insisted on spinning.
His eyes stung behind fogged up glasses. A memory struck a chord deep within Richie and he felt a smile creep up on his face.
He was quickly pulled from his thoughts as Eddie slid his glasses off his face leaving Richie blind. "Me peepers! I can't see a blimey thing without me specs!" Richie guffawed while Eddie cleaned up Richies foggy glasses with the end of his suit.

Eddie laughed and slid them back up his face pecking him quickly on the nose when he made sure no one was looking.
"God you're burning up." Eddie mumbled worriedly slapping the back of his hand to Richies forehead feeling the heated skin.

Richie laughed weakly and removed Eddies hand pressing a chaste kiss to his knuckles. "It's your fault Ed's." He mumbled pulling him close their chests closing in. Richie dipped his head down to mumble in Eddies ear, "You look so darn cute in your suit, you got me all hot and bothered." He pulled away and snorted at the red blush painting Eddies shocked face. Even after a year of dating Richies Trashmouth still got Eddie riled up and embarrassed.

Richie laughed as the next song started up. Whitney Houston's crooning voice filtering over the speakers.
"Oh Ed's we gotta dance!" He interjected grabbing ahold of Eddies hands dragging the blushing boy onto the dance floor.
Richie twirled and whirled Eddie dramatically around singing along to the song while Eddie groaned, "I hate this song Rich." He looked up at Richie with those big eyes and Richie stared back his mind jolting back to sophomore year.

The very song that brought them together on that pathetic homecoming. And here Eddie was scrutinizing the song that very well started their relationship. Sure, it wasn't the best but it held a special place in Richies sappy old heart.
"It isn't that bad." Richie concluded wrapping his arms around Eddies waist. He let his one hand slip resting over Eddies ass, Eddie quickly grabbed his hand and placed it on his waist shooting him a warning glare.
Richie just shrugged and laughed swaying to the music.

He had everything he wanted. A family that loved him, friends who put up with him and the worlds handsomest boyfriend.
Life wasn't so bad.
"Where we goin after this huh?" Beverly asked latching on to Richies shoulder the firecracker girl bouncing up and down in her flats. Ben trailed behind his hand rested on her lower back, "We were all thinking of heading for food soon. The stuff here isn't edible." He mumbled shooting a glance to the sad excuse of Italian cuisine.

Richie scanned the room for the rest of their posse then glanced back down at Beverly. "What? You aren't ditching me this time?" He teased bringing up the dreaded homecoming night Richie still was holding over her head.
Beverly rolled her eyes and smacked his arm. "I did you a favor asshole!" She snapped back gesturing to Eddie who was watching the whole thing go down with a grin.
"I could eat." Eddie shrugged flashing Richie a look checking up on him subtly.

Richie clapped his hands together and wrapped his arms around Eddie and Bev's shoulders walking them out toward the back. "Let's find the rest of the gang." He called looking around for Bill, Stan and Mike.